• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

next step after accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

markivan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

3 years ago, i was involved in a accident just after i had moved from Wisconsin to Ohio. I was uninsured at the time and was issued a amount to pay from the other drivers' insurance company. Just recently, i've finished paying it out and i recieved what i'm guessing is much like a reciept. The meat of it reads...

The undersigned hereby certifies that he/she is of the age of 21 years or over and that he/she has released (my name) from property damage liability arising out of an incident which occured on 12/23/08 at or near Independance, OH.

And it goes on with it being notorized and so forth. I'm wondering what, if anything, do i do with this. Does the DMV need to see this for anything, give a copy to my credit bureaus (or does something like this even affect credit scores?). Heh, just not sure what to do now that i'm free of this debt.

justalayman

First, you hang onto it. If anybody gets anything, they get copies.

then, is your license currently suspended due to owing money for that accident? Any other adverse actions currently due to the accident? If not, just hang onto the thing. Depending what adverse actions you are being subjected to, who might get a copy would vary.

Were there any medical injuries to the other party? That release is for only property damage. Is there any sort of claim for medical costs?

markivan

There IS a current suspension on my license, but i believe it's not related to this. It was listed as a FRA (unsure of what this is short for) that started March of 2009 and ends March of 2012. But i believe it's because i have had a lapse in insurance. When i got insurance before, it was lifted. When i recently bought another car, i didn't immediately get a new policy as i wanted to change companies and was notified of license suspension. Once i show them the new policy paperwork that i've got, i believe it will be lifted again.

I haven't been called on any other adverse actions that i'm aware of. The only thing was a call that i recieved that was demanding payment for a 'judgment' and wanted X amount of money plus a copy of my drivers license and the security number to the debit card i planned to use faxed to them. Didn't do that because it just sounded fishy...

At the time of the accident, the other driver said she had no injuries to herself. Between then and now, the only claim i've recieved has been this one so i believe there were no reported injuries.

justalayman

The only thing was a call that i recieved that was demanding payment for a 'judgment'
were you ever sued over this? If so, you need to be sure a notice of satisfaction is filed that acknowledges the judgment has been paid in full.

markivan

No, i have not been sued. I should clarify that quotation. A guy contacted me about 2 weeks ago now saying that there was a debt i owed that was on its way to being a legal matter if it was not paid. He did not say as to what. He only gave me a name which i was not familiar with regarding this accident or any other matter, a request to fax him my photo ID, my debit card number along with its security code and a statement of me saying, basically, this is to satisfy a debt.

I never sent any information because i have not ever used such a method to resolve a debt and i never send my debit card number unless im certain its secure. A fax did not seem secure.

I called the company that was handling my debt afterwards and they told me they never sent my information to anyone else. I don't think the insurance company did and i'm reasonably certain the lady that i had the accident with did not either. I did not feel comfortable with all those questions regarding that call and did not send payment.

All that aside, is filing a notice of satisfaction something i should do anyway?

markivan

Was curious if, given my situation, should i work on filling out and filing a notice of satisfaction. I've done just a little digging into it and it seems like it varies (the paperwork i mean) from almost city to city so i'm not certain if i should or shouldn't.

OHRoadwarrior

FRA suspension is because you failed to show proof of insurance. When you file to get your license reinstated, you will need your receipt showing you paid the debt off. Failure to substantiate this will result in a denial of the reinstatement. You will also be required to maintain an SR-22 filing showing you as a license holder are maintaining insurance. If you insure a car, make sure you request the insurance company process the SR-22 filing along with it. Otherwise you need to get the SR-22 insurance separately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">