• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident on Suspended license in Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wltdblkrose07

Illinois

I was in a vehicle accident back in January. I was coming up to a red light and slid on black ice. My van started fish-tailing and started to spin into the right lane, which is when an SUV came up behind me. We ollided at the fron and my van turned and then we collided again in the back. His car went into a ditch and I pulled over. The cop came, took the report, Gave me a ticket for "not drivng for conditons to prevent and accident" or in form of words like that. He told me I could drive on my ticket and sent me on my way. I went to court last week and I started crying. The judge decided to set up a trial for me where the other driver would be present. She made em aware that if he didn't show then they usually throw out the case. I became calm knowing i might be ok, even if he did show up.
However, earlier today I was shocked to get a call from my insurance company. They stated that they did a sandard random check and it showed that my license was suspended. I called the secritary of state and they said it was suspended in September due to a medical report i submitted for aproval that was denied. I explained that I was not notified of this. They said to get my license re-instated i just get a new medical report and fax it to them.
So that is taken care of; However I cam concerned for when I go back to court...
What will happen to me? The cop let me go without even mentione any suspended license, and even told me I could drive on the ticket!
Will it even be brought up because of that? If so what can happen to me? I hope I wont go to jail. I have no criminal record and I had no idea my license was suspended to begin with. Will there be a large fine? I was told before I found out about my license that I would probably get no more than a $250.00 fine for the original ticket; However with this new information I am lost. I heard because of the fact that this is my first accident and i have no criminal record they will just fine me and it will be like a slap on the wrist...

Anyone know what will happen or what I should do?

OHRoadwarrior

See my note.. I am not an atty.

Sounds like you are rolling the dice. Here is what the potential outcomes I theorize might happen.

Sounds like the court is sympathetic. If they remain unaware of your suspended status, they can rule in your favor on the ticket and you could be home free, with no liability if the other insurance company does not become aware of the issue. If they know, the other insurance company could send a rep to advise you were suspended, at which point they could amend and add the charge. You may become liable out of pocket in this case.

I would keep my mouth shut on the issue and go to court. Play it out the way you initially planned. Hope the other company does not find out and pays all accident costs not knowing you share some liability. This is not an issue about being honest and honorable. Any insurance company would throw you under the bus in a heart beat if they thought it would save them money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">