• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawsuit effects

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluedragon0110

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

My fiance and I were in a car accident 6 months ago. When we were turning at a light, another car struck us on the passenger side. He was driving. I was hurt and he was not. When we found out that I was going to need surgery on my leg, we hired a lawyer. I just received a call from my lawyer wanting to know if I wanted to shut down the case since we have received the money from the other person's insurance or if I wanted to continue and get the other half from my fiances insurance. Here is my problem, Florida is a no fault state. So the suit would have his name on it even though his insurance company would pick up the tab. What are the long term affects? Will it show up on his credit report, background checks and such? I do not believe it will go to trial, so I am really trying to find out how it will affect him.

ecmst12

It probably won't affect him very much, not like he would end up with an unpaid judgement. Was the liability determination that both parties had some degree of fault?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">