• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help me get my car title, please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dierkingl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I bought a car in Georgia from a used car dealer. Paid it off 09/18/10, purchased 12/07. Since I paid this car off and after repeated attempts, I still do not have a title, or paperwork I paid in full. I have my cancelled check as proof of last payment. I have called repeatedly to the dealer, always I am told it will be mailed. I moved to Illinois at the end of Sept 2010. My plates, Ga tag, expired 11/10. I went to Illinois DMV and with a title they would not give me plates. I have the original paperwork/contract for the car. I have called, emailed and sent letter to Georgia DMV. Now they tell me that the dealer is legally bond to give me title. How do I get this? I have tried talk to the same person at the dealer, who is the owner, at am told " I will mail it today" that has been her response since 9/10. Is there a demand letter I can send to them certified to light a fire? Georgia said will not get involve nor will they take a complaint. I have to contact Georgia Used Car Buerue (sorry spelling). Please any help.I dont mind going to the court house here in Illinois and file my own forms, but need to know what I can do. Thank you so much.

justalayman

to start;

it sounds like the dealer you purchased the vehicle from also carried the loan. Is that correct?

This is from the Georgia State Board of Registration of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers and Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealers. It was as close as I could get to your situation.

Georgia Board of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers and Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealers

It’s been over 30 calendar days, and I still do not have my title, and I can’t get a tag. What can I do?

· You should attempt to contact the dealer to demand the title. If you receive no satisfaction from the dealer, you may file an Official Complaint to the Georgia Board of Registration of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers. Keep in mind that the Board’s authority is limited to sanctions against a dealer’s license. The Board does not have the authority to get your title for you.

· You also may wish to seek legal counsel on your legal rights to pursue the possession of your title in court.

· If the dealer is licensed, or if the dealer has recently closed operations, you may request from the Board office a Letter of Certification, to include the bond information, on the dealer. Every dealer is required to obtain a $20,000 surety bond, issued in favor of the State of Georgia, to assist purchasers harmed by the dealer’s misrepresentations regarding liens against any used motor vehicle, or titles to any used motor vehicle. You can use the bond information to file a claim against the bond with the bond company.

· If the dealer is unlicensed, you may request from the Board office a Letter of Certification that indicates that the dealer is unlicensed. You will then need to follow the procedures of the Department of Motor Vehicle Safety to obtain a bonded title.

· If the dealer’s license has lapsed, you may access the License Verification page to search for the dealer license. Once you have found the dealer information, you can print the information that indicates that the dealer’s license has lapsed. You may then take this information to the Department of Motor Vehicle Safety and follow their procedures for obtaining a bonded title.

dierkingl

thank you

I did purchase at a buy here pay here place. I did pay the full loan off. As I said, I have contacted the dealer repeatedly. She just keeps telling me she will mail it. The last time I talked to her was 2 wks ago demanding the title. I called Ga Dept of Revenue/title & tag and she told me to get a lawyer. She wasnt very nice about it. I was wondering if I could send a certified demand letter to them. They did move from one location in July 2010 and didnt tell anyone. She called me out of the blue 9/10 and told me to pay off car. So I did. She said would mail the title when check cleared, which it did 9/18/10. I moved a week later, but all my mailed was forwarded. I have a bad feeling they do not have the title to that car. It was an actually dealer/body shop I bought it from. I will follow your advise and pray that I can get something. Illinois will not give me plates, which I dont understand since I have the registration from GA in my car...thank you.

justalayman

. I was wondering if I could send a certified demand letter to them.
sure but in reality, it doesn't mean a lot. You might consider asking a lawyer to write a demand letter for you. It still doesn't mean a lot other than you have talked to a lawyer. Sometimes that gives the recipient enough to get them to move on the demand.

From what I posted previously, it does suggest filing a complaint with the Georgia State Board of Registration of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers and Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealers. An official complaint would be a written complaint, using their form or system if they have such available, not a phone call.

take notice of the directions concerning a dealer whose license has lapsed as well. You should verify that dealer license to be sure it is still active.

Last edited:
You need to get an attorney to sue for it, or, if you wish, you can file a suit in court yourself. Unfortunately this is going to be your option - court - if the dealer won't willingly give the title.

TinkerBelleLuvr

it may be cheaper to get a lawyer THERE to do the letter writing. If that doesn't come to fruition, then they can just follow up with a lawsuit.

pissedconsumer7

Having same issue in NC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I bought a car in Georgia from a used car dealer. Paid it off 09/18/10, purchased 12/07. Since I paid this car off and after repeated attempts, I still do not have a title, or paperwork I paid in full. I have my cancelled check as proof of last payment. I have called repeatedly to the dealer, always I am told it will be mailed. I moved to Illinois at the end of Sept 2010. My plates, Ga tag, expired 11/10. I went to Illinois DMV and with a title they would not give me plates. I have the original paperwork/contract for the car. I have called, emailed and sent letter to Georgia DMV. Now they tell me that the dealer is legally bond to give me title. How do I get this? I have tried talk to the same person at the dealer, who is the owner, at am told " I will mail it today" that has been her response since 9/10. Is there a demand letter I can send to them certified to light a fire? Georgia said will not get involve nor will they take a complaint. I have to contact Georgia Used Car Buerue (sorry spelling). Please any help.I dont mind going to the court house here in Illinois and file my own forms, but need to know what I can do. Thank you so much.
I bought a car from a Lenior, NC used car dealer in Feb. 2012 and paid it off in Nov. 2012 I moved during this time and sent all payments in by certified mail, the car dealer always had my mailing address. After I paid the car off in full I asked the car dealer several times to send my cleared title to me by mail as I stated he had all of my mailing addresses and still never sent me my cleared title. He even told me IN WRITING the last time I asked for my title that he was going to hold MY (TITLE) PROPERTY for 45 days and he stated this in Dec of 2012, I told him he had no right to because my car is paid in full and I wanted my property. I then contacted the NC DOJ Consumer Protection office and the DMV Theft Division, I am still waiting for them to finish their investigations. I want to know what was so hard about him just sending me my title, he not only breached contract with me but he may have also committed an act of conversion based on NC Statue. :mad:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I bought a car from a Lenior, NC used car dealer in Feb. 2012 and paid it off in Nov. 2012 I moved during this time and sent all payments in by certified mail, the car dealer always had my mailing address. After I paid the car off in full I asked the car dealer several times to send my cleared title to me by mail as I stated he had all of my mailing addresses and still never sent me my cleared title. He even told me IN WRITING the last time I asked for my title that he was going to hold MY (TITLE) PROPERTY for 45 days and he stated this in Dec of 2012, I told him he had no right to because my car is paid in full and I wanted my property. I then contacted the NC DOJ Consumer Protection office and the DMV Theft Division, I am still waiting for them to finish their investigations. I want to know what was so hard about him just sending me my title, he not only breached contract with me but he may have also committed an act of conversion based on NC Statue. :mad:
Please don't post on a (nearly) 2 year old thread simply to rant. Start your own thread if you have a question. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">