• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

traffic ticket.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bojack43

Hi,

I was in NY and have just moved to NJ. I didn't get a chance to get my license switched to NJ and now I am waiting till the ticket issue is resolved.
I received a ticket, was doing 68 mph (65 is normal for that highway staten island expressway) on a 50 mph road. The police car was parked parallel to the highway(and the cop was fat so I don't know how he turned around in his car to see how fast I was going, because of this I seriously believe he lied about how fast I was going). The dude who overtook me earlier by a minute was slowing down so I noticed that police car and by the time I reached him I was doing below 50. Dude stops me, says I was doing 72mph and gives me a ticket.
I want to know if its worth it for me to fight this ( will I win or will they fine me more if I lose in court?)
I am thinking of telling the judge I was doing 68 and not 72.
Please help!
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ShyCat

Wrong forum. You should re-post this in the "TRAFFIC LAW > Speeding and Other Moving Violations" forum.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi,

I was in NY and have just moved to NJ. I didn't get a chance to get my license switched to NJ and now I am waiting till the ticket issue is resolved.
I received a ticket, was doing 68 mph (65 is normal for that highway staten island expressway) on a 50 mph road. The police car was parked parallel to the highway(and the cop was fat so I don't know how he turned around in his car to see how fast I was going, because of this I seriously believe he lied about how fast I was going). The dude who overtook me earlier by a minute was slowing down so I noticed that police car and by the time I reached him I was doing below 50. Dude stops me, says I was doing 72mph and gives me a ticket.
I want to know if its worth it for me to fight this ( will I win or will they fine me more if I lose in court?)
I am thinking of telling the judge I was doing 68 and not 72.
Please help!
Thanks in advance.
Yeah, head on in to court and tell the judge that the fat cop couldn't have swiveled in his seat...and besides, you were only doing 68 in a 50 mph zone.

That'll work! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">