• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lapsed auto insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bonita bragg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia Is there any way an insurance company is able to pay for your auto if you were involved in an accident and your insurance was lapsed but, you paid the insurancethe next day? after you have paid the last month and the current month and the reinstatement fee?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia Is there any way an insurance company is able to pay for your auto if you were involved in an accident and your insurance was lapsed but, you paid the insurancethe next day? after you have paid the last month and the current month and the reinstatement fee?
What did your insurance company say when you asked them the question?

ecmst12

When you reinstated your policy I am sure they made you sign a statement that you hadn't had any accidents during the time the policy was lapsed...and even if they did not, you had no coverage at the time and they are not going to pay. You will have to pay out of your pocket.

OHRoadwarrior

Actually, some states I understand mandate a 30 day coverage period for lapsed policies. If you do not have your policy to refer to, ask your state department of insurance if this applies in your state.

tammy8

Actually, some states I understand mandate a 30 day coverage period for lapsed policies. If you do not have your policy to refer to, ask your state department of insurance if this applies in your state.
Maybe they will REinstate the policy with a lapse, meaning no coverage was afforded until the company received the payment.

latigo

So you are saying that “some” states have enacted legislation granting the insured a 30-day grace period for premium payment?

I would be interested in reading such a law. Can you cite a statute from any state with such a provision?

Country Living

The OP chose to drive without insurance. He had an accident. He got insurance the next day. So had he not had an accident, would he still have gotten insurance the next day? <Jeopardy theme music>

I'm still waiting to learn what the insurance company told him when he said he had an accident the day before the call.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">