• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car removal-rent request

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gammagirl

My brother's estranged wife put her car in my garage just before she separated from my brother. It is not driveable. The car was put in the garage in 1994. After she left, in '95, I requested she remove the car. She would not. I have requested again, since then, and the car has still not been removed. Do I have a 'right' to ask for rent. I was considering approaching her for $30 per month since their date of separation. I would like to try dealing with her myself first, but she has been unreasonable so far so I wanted to know where I could go with this. Thank you

JETX

Without a prior agreement, you cannot charge for past rent.

Here is what I would suggest:
Send her a letter (Certified RRR). Describe the car (make, model, VIN). Notify that any prior authorization to park 'the above' vehicle on your property have been revoked. Tell her she has a reasonable (7 days from receipt?) time to make arrangements for removing the vehicle from your property and that if arrangements are not made, the vehicle will incur storage fees in the amount of $10 per day for each day that the car remains on your property without your express permission. After XX (30?) days without notice, the vehicle will be considered abandoned and will be sold 'at auction' with the proceeds to be used to pay storage fees and all costs.

Then send the letter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">