• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Request for Coverage Limit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TManiaci

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My father-in-law (Bill) ran a stop sign a few weeks ago, hit two other cars. One party has retained legal council, and is filing a claim. Bill has just received a letter from his Insurance company, advising they need a release signature to provide his policy limits to the other party's attorney. Bills insurance carrier says they can not offer advice in responding to the request.

Seems pretty clear and Ambulance Chaser has been enlisted. This is feeling very uncomfortable. Sounds like they want to know how much they can sue for before Bill get's out-of-pocket liability.

Should we authorize our insurance carrier to release this information?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My father-in-law (Bill) ran a stop sign a few weeks ago, hit two other cars. One party has retained legal council, and is filing a claim. Bill has just received a letter from his Insurance company, advising they need a release signature to provide his policy limits to the other party's attorney. Bills insurance carrier says they can not offer advice in responding to the request.

Seems pretty clear and Ambulance Chaser has been enlisted. This is feeling very uncomfortable. Sounds like they want to know how much they can sue for before Bill get's out-of-pocket liability.

Should we authorize our insurance carrier to release this information?

Seems to ME like the injured party is seeking compensation. Perhaps they should just sue for $5,000,000 and let his insurance company do their thing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">