• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pb123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in New Jersey. I went through a divorce almost 2 yrs. ago. What provoked me to go to an attorney was when I recieved a check in the mail (husband cashed his 401k) and it came to my address by mistake. The attorney new of the taxes that should have been paid and she kept stalling with all kinds of excuses until she drained what she could out of the check. By her not paying the taxes on the pension check, it caused me to lose my house and all the equity that we would have profited from. A total of $170,000.
Is there something wrong with this?

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in New Jersey. I went through a divorce almost 2 yrs. ago. What provoked me to go to an attorney was when I recieved a check in the mail (husband cashed his 401k) and it came to my address by mistake. The attorney new of the taxes that should have been paid and she kept stalling with all kinds of excuses until she drained what she could out of the check. By her not paying the taxes on the pension check, it caused me to lose my house and all the equity that we would have profited from. A total of $170,000.
Is there something wrong with this?
A pension and a 401k are not the same thing.

Someone explain to me how an attorney is responsible for paying the taxes on pensions or 401k plans.

If this was the result of a divorce that took place almost two years ago, why the inquiry now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">