• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized Web Hosting Charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikenj

Hello. I am in New Jersey. I professionally develop web sites. Over a year ago, I developed a small web site for $500.00 through an ad agency. When setting up the hosting, I paid for the charges through the hosting provider for their client.

The site was done and approved by the ad agency. I completed the site, but the person was never satisfied even though it provided all the functionality and they paid in full. I've developed over 200 web sites and have never had any issue.

Anyway, fast forward one year later. The hosting provider auto-charged my credit card approximately $60 for the 2011-2012 hosting to their client's account on 2/4/11. He is stated I "hijacked" his site. How I have no idea since its exactly the same as a year ago.

When I tried contacting him, he is not responsible for the charge even though it is his account in his name.We had some back and forth emails. Once I said he is responsible because he benefits from the hosting, he said I am harassing, blackmailing and to stop writing or contacting him any more.

I gave him to the end of the month to send the $60 so his site does not go down, but he has no intention to pay and directs me to the ad agency. I'm sure the ad agency would pay, but it's his nastiness that simply bothers me and the account is under his name and not the ad agency. The ad agency also does not want to deal with this person.

It's not the $60, it's the issue that I never authorized the charge. My credit card has been removed from account. Should I dispute the charge or just forget it? Could I be liable in any way if I dispute the charge and the hosting provider takes the site down? American Express say I can dispute the charge any time up to 60 days.

Dave1952

Did you have a written contract with your client? Did that contract make you responsible for paying for the site hosting? For how many years? How does the ad agency figure into this?

Good luck

Kiawah

Why did you leave your credit card with the web hosting company, and have it set up to auto-renew?

I've got a number of sites, and even when I have them in auto-renew status, I always get advanced emails indicating that they will charge on the upcoming xx date (just got one yesterday).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">