• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buy new car now they want it back but want to give me money??? what??!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teamrj83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I purchased a used vehicle from a dealership located in New Jersey, I told them I wished to finance the car before I picked it up, they said they do not finance but they work with a larger dealer who can handle this for me. The larger dealer whos located in pennsylnavia calls me and tells me they secured a loan for me to purchase the car I wanted. All sounds great! So I drive 3 hours and pickup the car from the lot in new jersey, I sign papers there which is from the other dealer to purchase this car. I drive off everyone is happy..

I notice about 3 days of owning the car something is wrong with its electrical and steering.. I find out it has electrical grimilins which i repair and the tie rods in the front are bad and need replaced. I call and the dealer says they will cut me a check to get them repaired.. again everyone is happy..

I recieve a phone call about 2 weeks after I owned the car from the finance bank they ask me some questions, thank me for my time and thats that.. a day later the large dealership who technically sold me the car and secured my financing calls me, and said the bank pulled out of the deal and I will be required to give the car back but they think they can help me get financing elsewhere and to hold tight for a few days.. I do and 3 days pass and I hear nothing but hold tight we are working on it..

I get into a small fenderbender where a kid backs into me at walmart parking lot.. $1200 in damage, I call the lot to inform them that insurance is going to repair this car etc... 30 mins after I tell them, they call me back saying deal is dead they want the car but they are offering me all money back that I put into repairs of this car, and my downpayment back. Ok this sounds sorta fair except for the fact I no longer own a car.. I had a jeep which I sold a week after purchasing this car cause I could only have 1 car where I live. without this new car I bought I am now carless. I mentioned this to the dealer and they say they will give me a few days to look for a car, and also mention other cars on their lot they can sell me as my credit and job is good enough to have almost any car they have they claim.. I find nothing, and I tell them.. they seem frustereated at this point and are offering me $1000.00 in a check to me, to pay for rental car while i search, and also for reimbursment for my lost money i put into the cars repairs etc.. and they say they will allow me to keep the insurance check and the 1000.00 cash in exhange to just hand the keys over to them.

I am sorry I am no lawyer, but this does not add up at all.. No car dealer will allow me to keep around 2200.00 dollars in cash, give them a damaged vehichle unrepaired, and basically own a free car for now close to a month and call it a day.. something larger is here and I cannot find it.. why would a dealer want to be sooo nice and give me basically free money?? is something wrong with this picture??? I feel I have something large and i do not know it... it seems to be worth a lot to them for some reason..

They also do not want me to talk to the finance company who called me, they claim it may damage the dealer and finance company relations and they may never be able to use that company again if i do, and this is why they are offering me $1000 for my trouble, time, and money already spent in this car..

anyone have thoughts on this???

justalayman

is something wrong with this picture???
yes, obviously. Dealers are supposed to threaten you and badger you to give them money. What is happening may be a sign of the end of times :eek:

I feel I have something large and i do not know it... it seems to be worth a lot to them for some reason..
maybe but maybe there is something that causes them liability and they are simply trying to buy their way out of any problems.

other than that, have you checked the truck, including where the spare tire is stored for bodies or drugs?

(kind of kidding)

They also do not want me to talk to the finance company who called me, they claim it may damage the dealer and finance company relations and they may never be able to use that company again if i do, and this is why they are offering me $1000 for my trouble, time, and money already spent in this car.
. well, the fact is; you have a relationship with the lender as well. Are you sure the lender has rejected you? They are required to give you notification and what they based their decision on and your rights to request a credit report.

yes. It sounds like a good story line for "The Twilight Zone" if they still produced the show.

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I purchased a used vehicle from a dealership located in New Jersey, I told them I wished to finance the car before I picked it up, they said they do not finance but they work with a larger dealer who can handle this for me. The larger dealer whos located in pennsylnavia calls me and tells me they secured a loan for me to purchase the car I wanted. All sounds great! So I drive 3 hours and pickup the car from the lot in new jersey, I sign papers there which is from the other dealer to purchase this car. I drive off everyone is happy..

I notice about 3 days of owning the car something is wrong with its electrical and steering.. I find out it has electrical grimilins which i repair and the tie rods in the front are bad and need replaced. I call and the dealer says they will cut me a check to get them repaired.. again everyone is happy..

I recieve a phone call about 2 weeks after I owned the car from the finance bank they ask me some questions, thank me for my time and thats that.. a day later the large dealership who technically sold me the car and secured my financing calls me, and said the bank pulled out of the deal and I will be required to give the car back but they think they can help me get financing elsewhere and to hold tight for a few days.. I do and 3 days pass and I hear nothing but hold tight we are working on it..

I get into a small fenderbender where a kid backs into me at walmart parking lot.. $1200 in damage, I call the lot to inform them that insurance is going to repair this car etc... 30 mins after I tell them, they call me back saying deal is dead they want the car but they are offering me all money back that I put into repairs of this car, and my downpayment back. Ok this sounds sorta fair except for the fact I no longer own a car.. I had a jeep which I sold a week after purchasing this car cause I could only have 1 car where I live. without this new car I bought I am now carless. I mentioned this to the dealer and they say they will give me a few days to look for a car, and also mention other cars on their lot they can sell me as my credit and job is good enough to have almost any car they have they claim.. I find nothing, and I tell them.. they seem frustereated at this point and are offering me $1000.00 in a check to me, to pay for rental car while i search, and also for reimbursment for my lost money i put into the cars repairs etc.. and they say they will allow me to keep the insurance check and the 1000.00 cash in exhange to just hand the keys over to them.

I am sorry I am no lawyer, but this does not add up at all.. No car dealer will allow me to keep around 2200.00 dollars in cash, give them a damaged vehichle unrepaired, and basically own a free car for now close to a month and call it a day.. something larger is here and I cannot find it.. why would a dealer want to be sooo nice and give me basically free money?? is something wrong with this picture??? I feel I have something large and i do not know it... it seems to be worth a lot to them for some reason..

They also do not want me to talk to the finance company who called me, they claim it may damage the dealer and finance company relations and they may never be able to use that company again if i do, and this is why they are offering me $1000 for my trouble, time, and money already spent in this car..

Anyone who's surprised when they discover there are problems with the used car they bought should resign themselves to only buying new ones. And if they don't have the money to buy a new car, they should take an expert with them to the used car lot or resign themselves to taking the bus.

The whole thing sounds like companies working together to scam you.

teamrj83

This seems too good to be true, to be honest.. they want this car back asap.. and the price I paid for this car is the average price I paid for these cars.. if they give me say 2300 dollars on top of that. I highly doubt them having another buyer willing to pay my price plus 2300 plus enough for the dealer to even want to mess with this.

as for the load of drugs in the back! that is what everyone says haha!! problem is if i did have a lot, I wouldnt know the first step into moving it for the profit myself haha.... pun intended :)

regardless I dont see how I could get scammed, if they take possession of the car, I do not owe the bank anything anymore.. I basically had a new(used) car for a month, got in an accident I do not have ot pay for, and actually made money on the deal in the end.. my only complaint is I sold my other car in the mean time and will have no car once they take posession of it back.. :/

sounds very odd.. and im sorry no dealer is in the business to hand over free money :/

Basically I should just hand them the keys, take the money and find another car?

I have never recieved a letter of any kind from the finance bank or talked to them at all except for the quick call to ask questions.. that was it.. should I call them?? and what will it answer except for the fact I may or may not have a loan.. the point still shows the dealer will give me cash for just having posession of this car, and if i have a loan out. it is now the dealers issue, not mine correct?

justalayman

if there is a loan, in your name, it is your problem. Although this sounds too good to be true, from what I can see, as long as you are sure the loan was not paid out by the lender (which, since it's in your name would make you liable for the loan), you are the luckiest guy in the world.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">