• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passenger gets drug charges too!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

imaniransom

Drugs were found under driver seat in car. The driver was present in the seat and is the owner of the car, but yet, they arrest the driver and the passenger. The driver is not claiming the drugs so they charge both him and the passenger. Is this legal? Is there a way that the passenger can get out this situation since he was the passenger and has no affiliation with the drugs found under the driver's seat? The driver answered no when asked if the car could be searched and it was searched anyway...is that legal?

ENASNI

um?

And why were you pulled over? and what makes me think this is a question on a law test and you are trying to cheat and ask us?

And why is the sky blue? and... well I have lots of questions.

CdwJava

Drugs were found under driver seat in car. The driver was present in the seat and is the owner of the car, but yet, they arrest the driver and the passenger. The driver is not claiming the drugs so they charge both him and the passenger. Is this legal?
Sure. if the drugs were in a place where the passenger could have placed them there or should have reasonably known they were there, they can make the charge. They might also have other evidence or statements to implicate one or both parties.

Now, all because they are charged with the offense does not mean the state will proceed with a prosecution or that they will be convicted.

It may require one of the two parties to stand up and confess to the dope ... or, for one to roll over on the other. Sounds like it may be time to play, "Let's Make a Deal!"

Is there a way that the passenger can get out this situation since he was the passenger and has no affiliation with the drugs found under the driver's seat?
He can make a plea deal. Or, he can simply keep his mouth shut and hope the state cannot present any evidence to indicate he likely knew of the dope.

The driver answered no when asked if the car could be searched and it was searched anyway...is that legal?
That depends on why it was searched. The police report should indicate the justification for the search.

cyjeff

Actually, the sky is blue due to the refraction of the sun's light as it hits the atmosphere.

The passes through less of the atmosphere which allows the blue part of the light (shorter wavelength) when the sun is overhead or mostly overhead. This is why the sky looks red when the sun dips toward the horizon - the light goes through more of the atmosphere and the longer wavelengths of light (red and violet) are all that can get through.

ENASNI

so sorry

enansi, dont waste your time and dont waste mine. thanks
I just thought it might help Carl who was trying to help you to know the process it came to be that the vehicle was searched.

he mentioned: That depends on why it was searched. The police report should indicate the justification for the search.

Carl is the best here. Maybe I helped to bring this to his attention. ( probably not but.. Maybe?)

I just wanted to know myself because I am sooo interested in you.:rolleyes:

Thank you cyjeff. I always wondered why the sky was blue.

CdwJava

I just thought it might help Carl who was trying to help you to know the process it came to be that the vehicle was searched.

he mentioned: That depends on why it was searched. The police report should indicate the justification for the search.

Carl is the best here. Maybe I helped to bring this to his attention. ( probably not but.. Maybe?)

I just wanted to know myself because I am sooo interested in you.:rolleyes:

Thank you cyjeff. I always wondered why the sky was blue.
Yes, your post caught my attention to the thread. :)

ENASNI

Thanks Doll

Yes, your post caught my attention to the thread. :)
Vindication! I am so glad you are still here. It has been 5 years since I have been back and it is good to know you are still the greatest!

Keep up the good work!

cyjeff

No.

The sky is blue because of Rayleigh scattering.
Agreed... I simplified my answer....a more complete answer would be...

A portion of the light coming from the sun scatters off molecules and other small particles in the atmosphere. It is this scattered light that gives the sky its brightness and its color. As previously explained, Rayleigh scattering is inversely proportional to the fourth power of wavelength, so that shorter wavelength violet and blue light will scatter more than the longer wavelengths (yellow and especially red light). The resulting color, which appears like a pale blue, actually is a "weighted average" of all the scattered colors, mainly blue and green (violet, though strongly scattered, is a minor component of the solar spectrum and is less efficiently detected by the human eye); its hue is intermediate between blue and green[3]. Conversely, glancing toward the sun, the colors that were not scattered away—the longer wavelengths such as red and yellow light—are visible, giving the sun itself a slightly yellowish hue. Viewed from outer space, instead, the sky is black and the sun is white.

The reddening of sunlight is intensified when the sun is near the horizon because the volume of air through which sunlight must pass is significantly greater than when the sun is high in the sky. The Rayleigh scattering effect is therefore increased, removing virtually all blue light from the direct path to the observer. The remaining unscattered light is mostly of a longer wavelength and therefore appears to be orange.

Rayleigh scattering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So, in a nutshell, the sky is blue because the light has to go through less of the atmosphere. The sky is red and yellow at sunset because the light has to go through more of the volume of air (which removes the blue light from the direct path of the observer).

Which is what I said.... though, I admit, not completely.

Yeah, I know, wikipedia is a terrible source... but I am feeling lazy tonight and they had what I needed quickly.

Sue me.

"So, in a nutshell, the sky is blue because the light has to go through less of the atmosphere. The sky is red and yellow at sunset because the light has to go through more of the volume of air (which removes the blue light from the direct path of the observer)."
<sigh>

It has nothing to do with the volume of air.

It has to do with the nature of the particles in the air. Larger particles which scatter the longer (red) wavelengths of light are lower in the atmosphere than small particle that tend to scatter the shorter (blue) wavelengths.

When the Sun is directly overhead, the scatter comes mainly from the smaller particles in the upper atmosphere and the sky appears blue. When the angle of the Sun is lower e.g. at sunset, the light passes through layers of larger particles that are closer to the ground, which scatter the longer wavelengths of light making the sky appear red.

IMHO, smart aleck responses to other posters tend to be much more effective if they are actually accurate.

Last edited:

ENASNI

oh

<sigh>

IMHO, smart aleck posts to the OP tend to be much more effective if they are actually accurate.
Was this meant to be aimed at me?

It appears I smell like cupcakes and I draw people that can help to post to threads.

Blue skys nothing but blue skys..doot de doot

I thought it had to do with the ozone level or the ocean or something, all this in intriguing about the sky. I have a yen to Google.

Steve4509

Drugs were found under driver seat in car. The driver was present in the seat and is the owner of the car, but yet, they arrest the driver and the passenger. The driver is not claiming the drugs so they charge both him and the passenger. Is this legal?
yes...
Is there a way that the passenger can get out this situation since he was the passenger and has no affiliation with the drugs found under the driver's seat?
perhaps...
The driver answered no when asked if the car could be searched and it was searched anyway...is that legal?
Depends...:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">