• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help With ADT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

checkingthingso

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I need some help. We signed a contract with ADT, but on the day of installation we cancelled before they came out. We were told verbally over the phone that we didn't have to send in the cancellation form since we didn't have it installed. However, they are saying now that they would have never said that and are threatening to send us to collections.
What are our options?
The reason we decided to cancel was because wafter lookiing over the agreement on what the dealer said he was going to pay for and what we were paying for was not correct. Does this help?
Please help asap as they are calling soon.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I need some help. We signed a contract with ADT, but on the day of installation we cancelled before they came out. We were told verbally over the phone that we didn't have to send in the cancellation form since we didn't have it installed. However, they are saying now that they would have never said that and are threatening to send us to collections.
What are our options?
The reason we decided to cancel was because wafter lookiing over the agreement on what the dealer said he was going to pay for and what we were paying for was not correct. Does this help?
Please help asap as they are calling soon.
They could have promised you the moon verbally, but if you didn't get it in writing it does not exist. You have to go by the cancellation terms in your contract.

checkingthingso

Another quick question....
I just found out my husband said he mailed in the cancellation form (he thought they were asking him to do something else). Obviously they never received it, but I'm wondering if this gives me a leg to stand on. Since in the letter it doesn't say certified mail, or signature delivery, it just says to mail it. Which he did. Anything there?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Another quick question....
I just found out my husband said he mailed in the cancellation form (he thought they were asking him to do something else). Obviously they never received it, but I'm wondering if this gives me a leg to stand on. Since in the letter it doesn't say certified mail, or signature delivery, it just says to mail it. Which he did. Anything there?
...prove it.

checkingthingso

They don't say anything about proof in the instructions for mailling it in. How would I proove it? He just put it in an envelope, put a stamp on it and mailed it in.

Proserpina

They don't say anything about proof in the instructions for mailling it in. How would I proove it? He just put it in an envelope, put a stamp on it and mailed it in.

That's the point - the burden of proof is on you, not them.

There's a good chance you're on the hook.

Zigner

This is something that should have been sent via a traceable method. Too late now.

Zigner

Gotcha, looks like I'm in a contract with them for 2 years. Thanks so much for all your help. You have been so helpful :)
Did they actually install? If not, you should make sure they do.

Also, make sure you follow the cancellation clauses to a "T". Make sure you give the proper amount of notice when your contract is up and make sure you give them said notice in a traceable way.

checkingthingso

I called and spoke with a higher representative and got it all taken care of. They fixed the contract to honor what he said he was giving us and we are setting up an install date for tomorrow.
Thanks again!!

Zigner

I called and spoke with a higher representative and got it all taken care of. They fixed the contract to honor what he said he was giving us and we are setting up an install date for tomorrow.
Thanks again!!
Glad it worked out for you :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">