• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Sue my attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kristiloveswill

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana In 2000 I hired an attorney for my divorce, in the divorce I was granted 2000.00 plus my attorney fees. Since 2000 I have had to hire him several times to take my ex husband back to court for child support and the money I was granted in the divorce mind you I had to pay him first well here it is 2011 and the judge ordered the money garnished my att. never made that happen so I had to keep paying him well this last time in 2010 we went to court i was short 150.00 so he let me make payments.I finally went and decided to take my ex back w/out my att. he wanted another 500.00 i didnty have so he dropped me he is now sueing me in small claims for 100.00 is this fair? all the money I have payed him and I never received what about him following what the judge ordered me to get?Can I sue him for not representing me right?Why was he getting paid for nothing?

Last edited:

Hot Topic

Sure. But no one can tell you if you might have a reasonable chance of winning if you don't include details. Malpractice covers a lot of territory, and not everything constitutes malpractice.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana In 2000 I hired an attorney for my divorce, in the divorce I was granted 2000.00 plus my attorney fees. Since 2000 I have had to hire him several times to take my ex husband back to court for child support and the money I was granted in the divorce mind you I had to pay him first well here it is 2011 and the judge ordered the money garnished my att. never made that happen so I had to keep paying him well this last time in 2010 we went to court i was short 150.00 so he let me make payments.I finally went and decided to take my ex back w/out my att. he wanted another 500.00 i didnty have so he dropped me he is now sueing me in small claims for 100.00 is this fair? all the money I have payed him and I never received what about him following what the judge ordered me to get?Can I sue him for not representing me right?Why was he getting paid for nothing?
It seems to me that you were paying the attorney for work he had already done. He also is entitled to money for representing you since the initial divorce.

The person who owes you money is your ex husband.

kristiloveswill

Thank you so much I will have to represenet myself I hope I can he didnt do what I hired him for. 11 years ago the judge ordered it all to be garnished so I have payed him for 11 yrs. for the same job.

kristiloveswill

It seems to me that you were paying the attorney for work he had already done. He also is entitled to money for representing you since the initial divorce.

The person who owes you money is your ex husband.
True but the att. should have followed through with the judgment from the judge in 2000 and he didnt what was I paying him?I understand I have to pay him but for the same job for 11 years?

Garnishing wages can be hard...especially if the garnishee changes bank accounts, changes jobs, gets paid under the table, etc....

Its not super hard, but it is time consuming.

As for your attorney, you need receipts, your fee agreement, and his invoices. If it all doesn't add up, sue him.

Also, you can request all this from your attorney and he has to give them to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">