• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plates held hostage!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sedowell

Virginia
I just bought a used car. Since I had cash the dealor said he would take what I had and I could pay the 300 left on the downpayment later. When I went to pick up the car there were a few problems with things like the locks and some fuses. So the dealor said if I took care of it he'd just drop the last 300. I called back last week to see when I would be receiving my plates, but the dealorship closed because of unpayed rent and other bills. The owner of the building locked the dealor out of the building and I'm guessing went through the dealor's papers because he contacted me and said he would not send me my plates until I payed the 300 left out of the downpayment, despite the agreement the dealor and I made. Is this legal?

OHRoadwarrior

Tell him you want it in writing to protect yourself from further problems. Take the written agreement to the police. Alternatively report the plates a having been stolen by the landlord since he is now claiming possession and see if he is dumb enough to admit it without written proof. Also alternatively, report the plates lost/stolen or cancel them and get new ones issued.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Tell him you want it in writing to protect yourself from further problems. Take the written agreement to the police. Alternatively report the plates a having been stolen by the landlord since he is now claiming possession and see if he is dumb enough to admit it without written proof. Also alternatively, report the plates lost/stolen or cancel them and get new ones issued.
Our OP ain't got title yet OH

xylene

What did the DMV say when you contacted them?

I assure you they will be interested in this.

Antigone*

Virginia
I just bought a used car. Since I had cash the dealor said he would take what I had and I could pay the 300 left on the downpayment later. When I went to pick up the car there were a few problems with things like the locks and some fuses. So the dealor said if I took care of it he'd just drop the last 300. I called back last week to see when I would be receiving my plates, but the dealorship closed because of unpayed rent and other bills. The owner of the building locked the dealor out of the building and I'm guessing went through the dealor's papers because he contacted me and said he would not send me my plates until I payed the 300 left out of the downpayment, despite the agreement the dealor and I made. Is this legal?
Was this side agreement with the dealer in writing?

xylene

Contract with the car dealer's landlord - I doubt it.

I'm missing something, is there ANY situation where a ex-landlord can forcible assume the receivables of an ex-tenant closed business?

The car buyer has a contract with the car dealer.

The car buyer would be a FOOL to pay the car dealer's former landlord anything, on an oral agreement or one caved into granite with the car dealer

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">