• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car accIdent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MarlaM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in NY but the accident occurred in CT. I was involved in a car accident of March of 2009. I had gone out partying with my boyfriend at that time and his little sister. I had gotten really drunk and couldn't remember half of went on in the club. Therefore, my boyfriend at the time had to drive both us and his sister home. After, dropping his sister home he got back on the highway to take us home. I'm not sure how the accident exactly happened but I was awoken by collision done by him into a barrier on the highway. I woke up screaming and crying because I didn't know what happened and was scared. He tells me that someone cut him off causing him to serve and hit the barrier. Also, he tells me that he doesn't have a license. At this point I didn't know what to do because I knew the cops had to come to the scene. When the cops arrived I lied and said I was the one driving but he really drove. I only lied because it was my mom car and I was scared what she would say if she knew he was the one driving plus he was my boyfriend and he was drinking as well and he didn't have a license. I didn't want my mom to find out nor for him to get arrested. However, just recently I received a letter in the mail stating that he claims he was a passenger involved in an accident and I was the operating driver. He is trying to sue me for 15,000. He never once told me he was injured we traveled to Miami and Atlanta in May of 2009 and we still partied every weekend or did something from the time of accident and moving forward until July of 2009 when I ended our relationship. The whole point is he is a list he was the one driving if anything I should be suing him. Anyways I Ned some help or advice on what actions I need to take. I will take a lie detector test if I have too.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in NY but the accident occurred in CT. I was involved in a car accident of March of 2009. I had gone out partying with my boyfriend at that time and his little sister. I had gotten really drunk and couldn't remember half of went on in the club. Therefore, my boyfriend at the time had to drive both us and his sister home. After, dropping his sister home he got back on the highway to take us home. I'm not sure how the accident exactly happened but I was awoken by collision done by him into a barrier on the highway. I woke up screaming and crying because I didn't know what happened and was scared. He tells me that someone cut him off causing him to serve and hit the barrier. Also, he tells me that he doesn't have a license. At this point I didn't know what to do because I knew the cops had to come to the scene. When the cops arrived I lied and said I was the one driving but he really drove. I only lied because it was my mom car and I was scared what she would say if she knew he was the one driving plus he was my boyfriend and he was drinking as well and he didn't have a license. I didn't want my mom to find out nor for him to get arrested. However, just recently I received a letter in the mail stating that he claims he was a passenger involved in an accident and I was the operating driver. He is trying to sue me for 15,000. He never once told me he was injured we traveled to Miami and Atlanta in May of 2009 and we still partied every weekend or did something from the time of accident and moving forward until July of 2009 when I ended our relationship. The whole point is he is a list he was the one driving if anything I should be suing him. Anyways I Ned some help or advice on what actions I need to take. I will take a lie detector test if I have too.
You have already stated that you were the driver...now you're going to go to civil court and try to say otherwise?

Your credibility is shot.

latigo

So the story goes that he was actually behind the wheel, but is going to sue you because you reported that you were behind the wheel but now think that you can sue him because you were not behind the wheel and only lied saying that you were behind the wheel thereby committing a criminal act and at the same time defrauding your mother’s insurance carrier.

When you get ready to stage this farcical production you should sell tickets!

Also it brings to mind Rodney Dangerfield’s line as Al Czrvik in “Caddyshack”: Now I know why tigers eat there young!”

I’d explain to you a principal of law known as “the clean hands doctrine”, but drugs and alcohol have no doubt cooked your underdeveloped brain. I'd also suggest that you "get a life", but it seems a little late.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">