• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customer wants me to pay for broken light switch

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lucianasouza

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

I am self-employed as a housecleaner.
While I was working at this customer's house, I noticed the lights in the bathroom didn't go on. Not knowing what might have happened, I cleaned the room with the lights off.
When I left the place, the customer called telling me that the lights were working before I came, and that now the switch was broken and it was my responsibility to pay for the fixing.
Is she right? I know it's my responsibility if I break something. That's what insurance is for. But, as I didn't force the switch or anything, how can she accuse me of doing it, just because I was working in the house?

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

I am self-employed as a housecleaner.
While I was working at this customer's house, I noticed the lights in the bathroom didn't go on. Not knowing what might have happened, I cleaned the room with the lights off.
When I left the place, the customer called telling me that the lights were working before I came, and that now the switch was broken and it was my responsibility to pay for the fixing.
Is she right? I know it's my responsibility if I break something. That's what insurance is for. But, as I didn't force the switch or anything, how can she accuse me of doing it, just because I was working in the house?

"Not knowing what might have happened, I cleaned the room with the lights off."

"I know it's my responsibility if I break anything...But, as I didn't force the switch or anything, how can she accuse me of doing it, just because I was working in the house."

You either didn't touch the light switch and cleaned with the lights off, which I don't think anyone's going to believe, or you had your hand on the switch, which is more likely, but you didn't do anything to break it.

I'd pay for it (I don't believe you cleaned in the dark) and not work for the customer again.

Last edited:
Hot Topic, depending on the natural lighting in the bathroom, turning the light on isn't always necessary.

OP, are you sure the client isn't referring to the light being burned out? I don't see how someone can easily break a light switch. But if they've otherwise been good clients, then suck it up and drop the few bucks to get a new switch. If you're not worried about losing them as clients, tell them to sue you. What proof can they have?

Hot Topic

If she felt there was enough natural light to do a proper cleaning job, why would she feel it was necessary to turn the lights on in the first place? Nowhere does she say, "There was enough natural light to clean, but out of habit, I tried to turn the lights on anyway," or any variation of that.

lucianasouza

There were 3 light bulbs in it...so there's no way the lights burned out all together. And, yes, the natural lights in the bathroom were enough to clean it. I prefer to turn the lights on to make sure everything is the way I like it.
Now, about the price, it's not only $2.50, because I would need to hire someone to change it. The customer wanted me to hire an electrician to check the wires.
What I'm talking about is if she has the right to put the responsibility on me. I wanted to have something to tell her like" According to the law, you ....", got it?

justalayman

before you folks jump on the suck it up bandwagon, depending where this is and exactly what kind of switch is involved here, the OP could be looking at nearly $100 to replace a good quality switch or dimmer (including labor of course).

as far as if you want to refuse; refuse. She would have to prove beyond a preponderance of the evidence it was your fault.

A switch generally lasts forever (or darn near that) so unless you broke the handle, there isn't really a lot you can do to break it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">