• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mad Mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tnerling

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wisconsin

My sons parked car was hit by a drunk driver. The driver had SR-22 insurance but it is claiming that they don't have to cover him because he was driving his step fathers vehicle and supposably the step father doesn't have insurance and I have no way of knowing this for sure. My son had liability only so our insurance will not cover the damages. Any advice?

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wisconsin

My sons parked car was hit by a drunk driver. The driver had SR-22 insurance but it is claiming that they don't have to cover him because he was driving his step fathers vehicle and supposably the step father doesn't have insurance and I have no way of knowing this for sure. My son had liability only so our insurance will not cover the damages. Any advice?
Did your son get the driver's insurance information? Did he file a police report?

tnerling

Yes we filed a police report. It actually was a hit and run and there was a witness who helped the police find the driver. The drivers insurance said (get this) that they were not responsible because he was driving someone else's car and that they wouldn't cover him even if it was his car so I'm not sure what he was paying for but my insurance agent looked it over and said that was how they had worded his policy. I talked to someone with the State Insurance Agency and they told me to file a compliant with them but my insurance agent said the other insurance agency was probably covered because of the way they worded the contract. So in the meantime my college student is without a vehicle and perhaps needs to take these people to court but we do not want to lose more money on this accident.

Antigone*

Yes we filed a police report. It actually was a hit and run and there was a witness who helped the police find the driver. The drivers insurance said (get this) that they were not responsible because he was driving someone else's car and that they wouldn't cover him even if it was his car so I'm not sure what he was paying for but my insurance agent looked it over and said that was how they had worded his policy. I talked to someone with the State Insurance Agency and they told me to file a compliant with them but my insurance agent said the other insurance agency was probably covered because of the way they worded the contract. So in the meantime my college student is without a vehicle and perhaps needs to take these people to court but we do not want to lose more money on this accident.
Then his other option is to sue for the amount of the damages or the BB value of the vehicle, whichever is less.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">