• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hughesnet Contact Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AbsoluteSilver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

We called up Hughesnet after we got a flyer in the mail for free standard installation. We ok it on the phone with the guy and my dad asks "So it's just the $69 right? No other charges or anything?" The guy told him "No just the $69, that's all you'll have to pay." Installation guy comes and puts the satellite on the roof and everything and my dad isn't home so I sign the papers stating he did the standard installation. The guy assured me that's all that paper was for. My name wasn't on the account, my dad's was. Next week we get a bill stating we owe over $400. The people on the phone argue that it was not a standard installation, the paper stated it was, and argued we bought the equipment when we stated lease only. Then they say "ok but you still have to pay $127." I said "What for? The guy said we only had to pay $69 after the free installtion." Woman says "Nope there's a $99 activation fee." (The internet was never activated) We told them forget it then and we'll send the equipment back. The internet, still never activated, was charged another $69 (the bill then being over $200) when we said we weren't going to keep it. Then we were threatened for early termination fees (again, internet never activated in the first place). Now they have sent it into collections and they put my name on the bill. Even though my name isn't even on the account anywhere. So now I'm being harrassed by a collection agency saying I owe around $960 and thanks to the drama from hughesnet I was never able to start my schooling. I just today received the box to ship their equipment back after their debt collector has been harrassing me for the last week or so and the bill to and ship to names are for my dad, my name isn't even on it along with a letter saying the account is now terminated, which we've disputed since day one. I also have a screenshot of the account which does not have my name anywhere on it. I talked to someone who's husband worked with another similar company that used to deal with things like this and according to them since I signed that paper I legally voided the contract since my name wasn't even on the account or contract and said I might be able to file a damage claim for the equipment installed on my roof and either not have to pay or have the amount greatly reduced?

davew128

So when you told the debt collector you weren't the account holder, what did they say? And how does an unpaid bill you're disputing cause drama that prevents you from going to school?

AbsoluteSilver

So when you told the debt collector you weren't the account holder, what did they say? And how does an unpaid bill you're disputing cause drama that prevents you from going to school?
I told them I wasn't the account holder and the debt collector said "How can you prove that?" I said that it's right on the contract that my dad's name is on there and on the account itself and the debt collector said "Well your name is the one they gave me for the name on the account." and I told them again my name isn't on the account and he said that isn't his problem and that we'd have to take it up with hughesnet. We've reported them to the BBB and the attorney general but still nothing. The BBB had to turn it over to a different office for the Washington D.C./Eastern PA area and I guess they're supposed to look it over now.

It prevented me from going to school because they were our last resort for the high speed internet the school I wanted to go to required. I couldn't even sign up for the classes because I didn't have the internet they required for it because of this bill dispute going on from the very first week. Now, because I didn't have a car running before to get to a normal college (I live about 15 miles away from the nearest city and community college which is why I was opting for online), I can't even buy a car because they put the bill into collections in my name and ruined my credit score which means no car for work or college either one. I've been told to take a bus but there are no bus stops around here for miles and everyone that I know has a job, family, and schooling of their own to get to which means I can't get a ride from them, my father is a trucker so he's gone all week, and my mother doesn't have a license because she's on medication and has diabetes so bad she's usually dizzy from it.

swalsh411

There are well established procedures for disputing a debt which does not belong to you, stopping collection calls, and removing an inaccurate item from your credit report. Google how to do this and you will find plenty of help. Arguing over the phone with the debt collectors is not going to accomplish squat.

That's about all you have in terms of recourse as far as I can see. The ISP is not responsible for you not being able to attend school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">