• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

husbands meth bust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbabe.06

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY
My husband was "caught" with a meth lab in an outbuilding on our property. I honestly knew nothing about this as I'm disabled and do not get out much. The officers did search our home and found nothing. I was told I had nothing to worry about but I'm not convinced. I have a small child I'm concerned about. Do I need to worry about my husbands illegal activity coming back on me and my child? Please help any info is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

CourtClerk

I would say CPS should be knocking on your door very shortly...

then you can try to convince them that you had no idea your husband had a drug problem - as hard as it is to hide a drug problem, especially right under your nose.

lilbabe.06

I did know he had a problem! With pain pills that is, and we had recently visited his dr. who put him on meds to come off the pain pills. Other than that, roll your eyes as much as you like, I honestly had no clue. I have seizures 3 to 4 days a week and on those days I haven't a clue what my huband was doing. Although I did already feel guilty enough for not recognizing it and getting him help AND getting my daughter away from it, I thank you for your help!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I did know he had a problem! With pain pills that is, and we had recently visited his dr. who put him on meds to come off the pain pills. Other than that, roll your eyes as much as you like, I honestly had no clue. I have seizures 3 to 4 days a week and on those days I haven't a clue what my huband was doing. Although I did already feel guilty enough for not recognizing it and getting him help AND getting my daughter away from it, I thank you for your help!
Expect then for CPS to remove your child due to the fact that you allege you didn't have a clue, meth labs make the property toxic and your child was exposed to that. Also since you have seizures and are unaware of things that could be a red flag to your inability to take care of your child.

cyjeff

Meth labs STINK.

Unless you have an unusually large tract of land, you should have noticed that your yard smelled like a toxic waste dump.

I am not rolling my eyes at you or your situation. I am telling you that saying you didn't know that your home had been turned into something hazmat is going to have to clean up probably won't fly very far.

I agree with Oggy. You are going to have a difficult time with CPS. You need to start educating yourself now.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
At an arraignment, the woman was trying to get bond reduced -- she was charged with manufacturing meth. If you have ties to the community, bond can be reduced. It was argued she had two children of whom she had custody and she owned a home (the home was where the meth was manufactured and where she lived with the children).

now this was an arraignment where a plea was entered -- not guilty. She pled not guilty and the judge had her office call CPS to check on the children who mom stated, in open court, "were not there your honor when we were making it." Meth makes you stupid.

CdwJava

Since hubby is likely to go away for a while, and you are - by your own account - unable to adequately care for your child on your own, what do you think will happen when CPS gets involved?

Is there another family member who does not use drugs that would be willing to take temporary guardianship of your child while you work things out for yourself?

Hopefully you are also aware of just how dangerous these meth manufacturing sites can be. Twenty years ago I came across one that blew up and caught the house on fire. Two small children were caught in the conflagration. Neighbors observed mom race back into the house and come out, hurdling over the burning and screaming bodies of her little girl and son, and running away (with an arm load of money and dope). She and hubby were both later charged with the deaths of both children. Meth was such a driving force in their lives that the mother ignored her children who were on fire and grabbed the only thing precious to her - the dope and the cash. THAT is what meth does.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Oh, God have mercy.

One minute ago, I didn't know that. Now I do. Carl, I really, really, really need to know that the parents were sentenced to life without parole. At least.

CdwJava

Oh, God have mercy.

One minute ago, I didn't know that. Now I do. Carl, I really, really, really need to know that the parents were sentenced to life without parole. At least.
Nah ... in CA we feel sorry for parents that accidentally kill their kids. And for dopers.

Mom and dad got 3 to 5 if memory serves. Both were out in less than three.

I have similar stories with similar end results, and have even read newspaper articles where it has been opined that the parent(s) "have suffered enough ..." when their actions directly contributed to the death of a child.

Unbelievable but true.

lilbabe.06

Although I originally did not log on to defend the fact that my child is my whole life, that seems to b the direction in which it is going. I would gladly give my life for my daughter in a heartbeat. When I have a seizure my mother or my mother-n-law are here to help w/my daughter until I come through it. (neither of which knew anything was going on). And no I didn't ever smell anything. We have a couple close neighbors whom I have talked to and also never witnessed a strange smell. My daughter has special needs (NONE OF WHICH HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH DRUGS!) she has RTS and since you seem to know everything I dont feel the need to tell you what that is. She recently had heart surgery and I can assure that I would never knowingly put her in danger. U read a story on here and jump to the conclusion that the parent is unfit and on drugs. That is simply not always the case. For two years after I married I was on fertility, going to dr. twice/mo. and doing what ever I could to have a family. (Before you start on this it was before seizures started) I have been with my husband for 10yrs and he never (as far as know), touched a drug. So put urself n my shoes and tell me that you would ever suspect ur spouse of doing such a thing. This situation is not as black and white as you see it from your lil computer screen. You can rest assure my daughter is and ALWAYS will be taken care of and my first priority.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I have been with my husband for 10yrs and he never (as far as know), touched a drug.
Well, now you know that's not true, right?

The point is--your husband had a meth lab in your backyard. Whether you knew about the drugs or not, your daughter was in extreme danger. It is your job as a parent to keep her safe and the fact that you didn't know about the meth lab didn't make her any safer.

Your question was if this is going to "come back on" you and your child. The answer is yes, you can probably expect CPS to get very seriously involved in your life for however long they deem it necessary to ensure to their satisfaction that your daughter's safety is no longer in jeopardy. Whether you can convince them of that quickly and with as little of their intrusion as possible is up to you. I suggest you give them your full cooperation. If they tell you to jump, you ask "how high?"

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Although I originally did not log on to defend the fact that my child is my whole life, that seems to b the direction in which it is going. I would gladly give my life for my daughter in a heartbeat. When I have a seizure my mother or my mother-n-law are here to help w/my daughter until I come through it. (neither of which knew anything was going on). And no I didn't ever smell anything. We have a couple close neighbors whom I have talked to and also never witnessed a strange smell. My daughter has special needs (NONE OF WHICH HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH DRUGS!) she has RTS and since you seem to know everything I dont feel the need to tell you what that is. She recently had heart surgery and I can assure that I would never knowingly put her in danger. U read a story on here and jump to the conclusion that the parent is unfit and on drugs. That is simply not always the case. For two years after I married I was on fertility, going to dr. twice/mo. and doing what ever I could to have a family. (Before you start on this it was before seizures started) I have been with my husband for 10yrs and he never (as far as know), touched a drug. So put urself n my shoes and tell me that you would ever suspect ur spouse of doing such a thing. This situation is not as black and white as you see it from your lil computer screen. You can rest assure my daughter is and ALWAYS will be taken care of and my first priority.
Great, grand and glorious. That is what you are saying and I am telling you what I have seen the COURTS do. As recently as two days ago when a child was a in a home where a parent was ACCUSED of manufacturing meth.

I work juvenile court all the time. YOU need to comprehend that this is about what could happen and you are being warned of it at this juncture so you can prepare yourself. if you want to take it as a personal attack, so be it. You asked however if this could come back on YOU and YOUR CHILD. And the answer is YES it very well can. You can LOSE CUSTODY of your child to the state.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well, now you know that's not true, right?

The point is--your husband had a meth lab in your backyard. Whether you knew about the drugs or not, your daughter was in extreme danger. It is your job as a parent to keep her safe and the fact that you didn't know about the meth lab didn't make her any safer.

Your question was if this is going to "come back on" you and your child. The answer is yes, you can probably expect CPS to get very seriously involved in your life for however long they deem it necessary to ensure to their satisfaction that your daughter's safety is no longer in jeopardy. Whether you can convince them of that quickly and with as little of their intrusion as possible is up to you. I suggest you give them your full cooperation. If they tell you to jump, you ask "how high?"
She is changing her story. She KNEW he touched drugs (pain pills) and was in treatment for that addiction. So apparently she is lying to herself.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
She is changing her story. She KNEW he touched drugs (pain pills) and was in treatment for that addiction. So apparently she is lying to herself.
I had forgotten about that.

Still, the point I'm trying to make to her is that if she denies any knowledge of the meth, CPS isn't going to just say "Oh, well, okay then--have a nice day!" Which you, of course, know far better than I. I don't mean to preach to the choir.

CdwJava

When I have a seizure my mother or my mother-n-law are here to help w/my daughter until I come through it.
They live with you? If they do not live with you, then the same potential problems exist. If you have a severe seizure problem that renders you incapable of caring for your child, then there is a good chance that CPS may take some action. Perhaps you will need to arrange for some more permanent assistance since your husband is likely to be going away for a while and not likely to be seen as safe for the child.

She recently had heart surgery and I can assure that I would never knowingly put her in danger.
All the more reason why some other arrangements may well have to be made.

Unless you are greatly exaggerating your disability, it would seem that you are not capable of adequately caring for this child on your own.

What you knew or did not know will only be part of the equation. What you do moving forward now that you KNOW what hubby was up to will play a big part in how the authorities handle things. If you fail to take affirmative action to see to the welfare of your child (and this could include a restraining order against hubby, arranging appropriate care for you and your child, etc.) then the state may come in and take her away for her own protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">