• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrJenkins

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

So I was driving yesterday when some lady stopped in the middle of the road cause she was turning. I stopped behind her and all of sudden, she just starts backing up and hits me. This was all minor incident (bumper was a little dinged and pushed in a little).

We pulled into the parking lot, got out and got into a heated arguement cause who the hell backs up in the middle of a main road, especially with out looking. She acted like she was going to leave, so I took a picture of her license plate with my camera phone and then went inside to the gas station to obtain the local non emg police number. While I was in there, she came in said "**** you, I didn't hit you cause my car is red and you don't have any paint on your car" and then took off.

I called the cops to report it,cops came out looked at my bumper and concurred that he could tell there was damage.

Apparently the cops made contact with her cause I just got a call this morning from her insurance company saying she claims I hit her.

What am I going to expect. I mean, can she really get away with saying I hit her?

Dave1952

It's not surprising that she does not agree with your beliefs. I wouldn't worry about it. You seem to have a police report that shows that she left the accident scene and that there was property damage. Do you have any witnesses? What have the police done about the hit and run complaint?
If you have collision insurance you should notify your insurer and let him handle this. If not, Either get an attorney or handle this yourself.
Get 2 or 3 estimates to fix your car and send them to her in a business-like letter asking for the repair cost. Give her some time to respond and then Head to small claims court.

Good luck

ecmst12

Sounds like it's your word against her about who hit who. Without a witness, both of you will get your claims denied and both of you will have to pay your damage out of pocket. Sucks, but unless you find an independent witness, not much to be done about it. Her insurance company is REQUIRED to defend her, even if her adjuster personally believes she is lying, because that is their job.

MrJenkins

the thing that sucks is she probably won't even claim it against her insurance. Luckily i do have collision insurance. I have already notified them of the incident.

As far as witnesses go, I am not sure if there was any actual witnesses to the accident, but there was tons of witness((employees of the gas station)) that heard us arguing back and forth in the gas station and her contention was she DIDN'T hit me when she backed up, not that I hit her. They were very helpful cause I am actually not the area.

I am not sure if that matters cause it proves her changing of the story.

What gets me is if she claimed I hit her, or she didnt hit me, then why did she take off instead of waiting for the police like I did?

I am not sure if anything happened to her about leaving the scene, but I mean, clearly she is trying to weasel out of this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">