• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dry Cleaners ruined my wedding dress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CuriousNEd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I brought my wedding dress to a local dry cleaner who had a huge sign in window saying we clean and preserve wedding dresses. My dress had some dirt along the bottom of the train other than that it was in great condition no spills or stains. They said they would be able to clean it for me. I signed no waiver or anything to do with the dress and liability. I came back and the dress still had the dirt on bottom. It didn't even look as if they had tried to clean it. They offered to clean it again.
Upon my returning again to pick it up the dress had been ruined by the cleaning process. the dirt was still there but now the lace and bottom of dress which is silk was shriveled up like it had been scorched with heat. Many of the crystals that were on the dress were broken off or cracked in half.
This dress was going up for sale in a local bridal shop for resale they requested I have it cleaned before they would put it up for sale.
In express my anger and disbelief that they ruined my dress the manager of the store made it clear that in her words Wedding dresses are suppose to only be worn once and not meant to be cleaned. And that they had no liability for the dress because they followed the manufactures cleaning process on tag. So it was the manufactures fault and not there's. Do I have legal recourse?

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I brought my wedding dress to a local dry cleaner who had a huge sign in window saying we clean and preserve wedding dresses. My dress had some dirt along the bottom of the train other than that it was in great condition no spills or stains. They said they would be able to clean it for me. I signed no waiver or anything to do with the dress and liability. I came back and the dress still had the dirt on bottom. It didn't even look as if they had tried to clean it. They offered to clean it again.
Upon my returning again to pick it up the dress had been ruined by the cleaning process. the dirt was still there but now the lace and bottom of dress which is silk was shriveled up like it had been scorched with heat. Many of the crystals that were on the dress were broken off or cracked in half.
This dress was going up for sale in a local bridal shop for resale they requested I have it cleaned before they would put it up for sale.
In express my anger and disbelief that they ruined my dress the manager of the store made it clear that in her words Wedding dresses are suppose to only be worn once and not meant to be cleaned. And that they had no liability for the dress because they followed the manufactures cleaning process on tag. So it was the manufactures fault and not there's. Do I have legal recourse?
So, how much was the local bridal shop supposed to pay you for reselling the dress you wore on the happiest day of your life?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">