• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic ruins turbo of my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eqvtlynn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

I live in Delaware but we took my son's car to a mechanic in Maryland. My son is 16 and is in 2nd year of auto mechanics at school. He took his car into the school garage to change out the exhaust system. The manifold didn't line up right and he had an exhaust leak. His instructor had heart attach and so my son had to get the car out of the garage due to uncertainty of instructors. The car was put on my Dad's dolly and taken home and the next afternoon, we took it to the mechanic's shop. I drove it off the dolly and to the side of the shop and it was fine other than the loud exhaust, plenty of pep as it had prior to this. The mechanic had it for 10 days and when my son picked it up it had no power at all. He went back and the mechanic gave him a bunch of B.S. We took it to another shop and a crushed washer was in the turbo and the turbine fins were all bent and broken, ruining the turbo. Now the first mechanic wants to only pay half of the repair costs. What options do I have in this case?

latigo

Dave1952 How old was the turbine?
Lord love a duck! The village "genius" is back in business. Our cup indeed runneth over.

So please enlighten us old wise and all knowing. What is the importance of the age of the mechanism? Is there a certain point in time when it is okay for a mechanic to leave a bolt washer in the turbine wheel housing and thus scramble its guts?

Is age a factor in arriving at the cost of parts and labor necessary to rectify the mechanic’s admitted negligence? I dread the thought of turning in with these questions still looming.

latigo

All dave did was ask a question ... made no relevance to what the answer may relate to the problem .... You must be tired ... your response to Dave was jabberwocky
And you must be new to the neighborhood. So stick around a while and read some of his looney toon, no-speak and non-sequiturs and you’ll think jabberwocky!

I’m surprised he didn’t ask if the kid’s car had been repainted and what color.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And you must be new to the neighborhood. So stick around a while and read some of his looney toon, no-speak and non-sequiturs and you’ll think jabberwocky!

I’m surprised he didn’t ask if the kid’s car had been repainted and what color.
It's hard for TT to see this, as the view is blocked by HIS OWN unique (or not-so-unique) style of looney toon, no-speak and non-sequiturs.

Dave1952

The OP has an offer on the table, half the cost of the repair. To evaluate this offer he needs to know how much the old turbine was worth as opposed to the new, or repaired, turbine.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">