• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change of Address - Family Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TightDoberman

California

We're in family court. The ex's attorney of record attorney has not filled out a substitution of attorney but is having a new attorney just show up in court. The attorney of record did not show up at the last two hearings. I need to serve a response to a Motion the ex filed. I had the response sent it to the attorney of record and the response was sent back saying the attorney of record was no longer at the address.

What do I need to do? This other attorney is not the attorney of record and the new attorney actually have a business relationship with the ex. I am actually bringing up the new attorney in my response about how the new attorney isn't qualified to give a Declaration since they share a business relationship outside of a client-attorney relationship and I have the exhibits to back up how the new attorney has lied in his Declaration for their Motion.

The original attorney has accepted email and fax service before so do I email or fax the response to the original atttorney, or do I go ahead and send to the buddy who share more than the courtroom drama.

TightDoberman

The old attorney hasn't filed anything. He showed up to the first two hearings and even with this new attorney, the old attorney's name and invalid address are still being listed on all filings. The new attorney gave a notice saying he's assisting the old attorney and went on record saying the old attorney is still the lead attorney but they haven't filed any type of substitution.

I have sent the Response Declaration to the old attorney since he's the attorney on record. I just don't know how to proceed if his mail is being returned and he is nonresponsive.

It's as if he quit the case and provided no notice to court or me.

Is there anything I can file with the court to let the judge know that I sent service to the attorney on record and the attorney on record is no longer reachable by mail and he will not respond to his emails?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">