• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Error when turning in auto lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tolbertt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VT

Last weekend I went to a car dealership to turn in my Subaru Outback which I thought had a 36 month lease. We went through the whole process and eventually turned in the car and leased a new one. We took delivery of the car and went on our way. The next day I got a call from the salesman that said they he had missed on the old contract that the lease was actually for 42 months and finance company is now requesting additional funds. He said that we would need to pay an additional $2100 to pay off the old lease or refinance my current lease at a higher rate. I have told them that they made the error and accepted the car (I also in my initial contact with the sales manager asked them to check the turn in date which they did not).

My question is what is my responsibility in terms of the $2100 payoff? Since I have signed the new lease and turned the car in does this mean the deal is done and I have no responsibility? Can the finance company come after me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">