• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gym Membership Cancellation through ABC Financial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danson

State: CO

I signed up for Gold's Gym in October of 2009 for a one year commitment. It was stated that after a year, I have no commitment and can cancel at any time. ABC Financial handles membership, apparently, and requires a 30 day notice of cancellation. How can it be required of me to send a 30 day notice when my contract is now expired? That doesn't make much sense to me. I won't be using the gym at all this month, and they are going to bill me anyway. They will also bill me for April because 30 days from the time of sending the letter is April 2nd. Is there anything I can do to get out of paying them for two months that I am not even using those services?

I_Got_Banned

I signed up for Gold's Gym in October of 2009 for a one year commitment. It was stated that after a year, I have no commitment and can cancel at any time. ABC Financial handles membership, apparently, and requires a 30 day notice of cancellation. How can it be required of me to send a 30 day notice when my contract is now expired? That doesn't make much sense to me. I won't be using the gym at all this month, and they are going to bill me anyway. They will also bill me for April because 30 days from the time of sending the letter is April 2nd. Is there anything I can do to get out of paying them for two months that I am not even using those services?
Read your contract. It will probably have a provision stating that you're committed to the 12 month membership, and that it will automatically renew monthly until/unless you cancel in writing 30 days in advance of the next billing date (or words to that effect).

sandyclaus

It makes no sense that your have no further commitment AND can cancel at anytime after the first year. (If it expires after the first year, there would be no reason to cancel anything after that point!)

I agree with the above. There must be some kind of auto-renew clause in there that the contract extends for a certain period of time, and continues to auto-renew after each period, until you cancel it (with your 30 day notice). This is especially apparent, because you have clearly been continuing to use an active gym membership after the original expiration date back in October 2010 up until now.

Check your contract to see if it allows prorating so that you don't have to pay the full amount for April, since you have now given them your cancellation notice. Other than that, not much else that can be done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">