• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking over Payments on Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Juarin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

---

I'm just curious of the legalities here. My step-dad can no longer afford his vehicle, and my step-brother wants to pay the payments instead. However, the finance company does not do loan transfers or any of that. So they were just going to make a contract between themselves, that my step-brother would pay the payment each month, keep insurance on it, etc. Is this even legal?

I'm curious because I just don't see how it would work. If my step-brother decided he didn't want to pay it, how would my step-dad fight their contract, when the finance company is going to be look for my step-dad, not my step-brother in cases of non-payment. Once paid off, the title goes to my step-dad, not my step-brother... such as that. So it just seems to me, that it's a bad idea... or maybe I'm just over-thinking this.

Hopefully this makes sense...

In any case, any advice on this matter would be much appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

---

I'm just curious of the legalities here. My step-dad can no longer afford his vehicle, and my step-brother wants to pay the payments instead. However, the finance company does not do loan transfers or any of that. So they were just going to make a contract between themselves, that my step-brother would pay the payment each month, keep insurance on it, etc. Is this even legal?

I'm curious because I just don't see how it would work. If my step-brother decided he didn't want to pay it, how would my step-dad fight their contract, when the finance company is going to be look for my step-dad, not my step-brother in cases of non-payment. Once paid off, the title goes to my step-dad, not my step-brother... such as that. So it just seems to me, that it's a bad idea... or maybe I'm just over-thinking this.

Hopefully this makes sense...

In any case, any advice on this matter would be much appreciated.
Your dad agreed not to do this when he financed the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">