• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marijuana, paraphernalia seized. no arrest made, no citations.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tbrenens

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

so 2 Mesa Police Officers came into my apartment last night (March 2nd, 2011) in Mesa, Arizona i attempted to walk outside to speak with them and one pushed my door open with their flashlight and talked to me about complaints about marijuana use, odor, and even selling around my apartment. After they came in they threatened me about telling the management of the complex and having me and my roommate (who does not smoke marijuana) evicted immediately, i gave over my weed and my pieces so they would not inform management and have my roommate evicted for doing nothing when it was my weed i bought to smoke. Im just really confused, the two officers seized roughly 13-15grams of marijuana from me and some paraphernalia but they did not issue me any citations or arrest me..one officer informed me that he would read me my miranda rights and before he did so i asked him whether or not i will be placed under arrest and he said "No" and then read me my miranda rights. Im not sure what to do..i am a 19 year old and have been arrested for marijuana before (once riding in a car with weed and paraphernalia in it and then 4 days later 5 minutes after i got back to my dorm room where my roommate was blazing up and using some of my smoking devices he was not arrested but i was and i already went through TASC which is a drug diversion program with random testing that lasts about 3-4 months) so do seek legal representation or did they let this one slide? maybe hoping to catch me another time thinking they did not scare the living bejesus out of me? honestly this has scared me straight and ironically the thought of marijuana right now almost makes me sick to my stomach. They also talked to me about becoming a confidential informant but they did not arrest me only seized my marijuana (13-15 grams) and roughly 900$ in waterpipes/glass. Is this evidence admissable in the future? if i stay clean and focus on my college career will all be ok

EDIT: I was not taken to jail nor even arrested..the officers also did not say i would receive a letter of any sorts in the coming months..nothing was signed I gave them my ID when they asked for it and they wrote some information on an index card -- such as my name, phone number, and social -- gave my ID back and took the marijuana and bongs from my apartment after smoking 2 cigarettes with one officer while he would not stop talking about me becoming a CI for them/him

Last edited:

The Occultist

They have at least a year to press charges, and believe me, the state of AZ is going to make sure they press those charges. Now what will actually happen? Not really sure. If this was a first offense, you'd be given deferred prosecution (which is a much, much, much easier form of TASC). TASC was made to "scare you straight", and it apparently didn't work. So, will they take more drastic measures this time? I don't really have any good answers for you other than to find an attorney. A local attorney knows best what the courts want to hear, and as such present the highest potential in yielding the most favorable results. Many attorneys will offer free/cheap consultations, so you should take advantage of this and sit down with a couple to see what insight they may have to offer.

tbrenens

what if i got my record expunged? i went through tasc for the dorm charges and group drug therapy for the 1st..ill go to an attorney monday..maybe i can get everything dismissed through using a good lawyer before charges are filed. i dont know i am just 19 haha

thank you i will after classes and before work

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">