• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyer has my case file paperwork! help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kkaystites

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? colorado
My husband and I met with an attorney regarding a real estate dispute. He agreed to take case on a contingency basis. I gave him all of our paperwork about the case,(I have no copies::(). He said he would email the contract to us to sign to retain him. He never did. that was over 2 months ago. He won't return our calls or emails. He is virtually unreachable!! He has all of our pertinent case documents so we cannot pursue the case ourselves. What should we do? We never signed the contract and no money was paid to him, we just want our damn paperwork back!!:mad:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swalsh411

You call or write his office that you will be there on such and such a date at such and such a time to collect your documents and that you would like to have them ready. If they are not ready when you get there then you can file a complaint with the CO Bar Association. (assuming he is a member).

Hot Topic

I would go ahead and file a complaint with the Bar. I think there's sufficient justification to do so when an attorney chooses to ignore a situation like this.

An attorney must have the status of "active" and "in good standing" to practice in the State of Colorado.

Go, Broncos!

Last edited:

davidmcbeth3

You may be able to find out where he may be. Check out his attny # first. With that you may be able to search the court web page and see where he has his next court appearance .. then show up and hound him. Thats alot of work though.

Why not go to his office & get your paperwork?

Or call him and say you now want him to represent you ... when can you drop off a retainer chk & sign the contract...he'll be there to collect $$.

Hot Topic

Don't do something dumb like finding out when his next court case is so you can show up and hound him. You'll find yourself being shown the door by court personnel who don't tolerate such nonsense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">