• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlawful Possesion of Marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loobeeone

New York City.

I am a 16 and I received two pink summons for Unlawful Possession of Marijuana and Trespassing.

I was in Central park with a friend at 1:30am when cops stopped us and told us that we were trespassing and that no one was allowed in the park past 1:30. I've been living in New York City my whole life and I have never been aware of this rule. The cop then began to question me asking if I had any illegal substances on me. I had about 3 grams of marijuana in my bag which I was holding for my friend since he did not have a backpack to conceal it. He threatened to search me and I knew lying to a Police Officer could result in serious consequences. I admitted to having marijuana in my bag and it was confiscated.

My record is clean and I have never run into any trouble with law before. My family is currently in a difficult financial situation after my father was laid off from work. It is highly doubtful that we can secure a lawyer to help our case.

I am very worried about these charges affecting my future. If I were to plead guilty do I now have a criminal record or any type of record that could come back to haunt me? I am currently a Junior at the Bronx High School of Science and I'm afraid these charges will prevent me from being accepted into any colleges or receive any type of financial aid.

I am also very unfamiliar with the proceedings of a court case like this one. How do I go about getting a ACOD? hould I mention that I want an ACOD when the judge asks if I am guilty or not guilty? Can I get an ACOD without a lawyers help? Can I get an ACOD with the charge for trespassing?
Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

New York City.

I am a 16 and I received two pink summons for Unlawful Possession of Marijuana and Trespassing.

I was in Central park with a friend at 1:30am when cops stopped us and told us that we were trespassing and that no one was allowed in the park past 1:30. I've been living in New York City my whole life and I have never been aware of this rule. The cop then began to question me asking if I had any illegal substances on me. I had about 3 grams of marijuana in my bag which I was holding for my friend since he did not have a backpack to conceal it. He threatened to search me and I knew lying to a Police Officer could result in serious consequences. I admitted to having marijuana in my bag and it was confiscated.

My record is clean and I have never run into any trouble with law before. My family is currently in a difficult financial situation after my father was laid off from work. It is highly doubtful that we can secure a lawyer to help our case.

I am very worried about these charges affecting my future. If I were to plead guilty do I now have a criminal record or any type of record that could come back to haunt me? I am currently a Junior at the Bronx High School of Science and I'm afraid these charges will prevent me from being accepted into any colleges or receive any type of financial aid.

I am also very unfamiliar with the proceedings of a court case like this one. How do I go about getting a ACOD? hould I mention that I want an ACOD when the judge asks if I am guilty or not guilty? Can I get an ACOD without a lawyers help? Can I get an ACOD with the charge for trespassing?
Any advice is appreciated.
Unlawful possession of marijuana in the amount you are charged with is now a violation in New York i.e. no more serious than a traffic ticket. It's $100 (there may be some surcharges, I'm not certain).

Central Park has 1:00AM curfew. The cops generally enforce it informally, using it as an excuse to stop someone they think is suspicious. The problem is that violation of the rules of the NYC Parks Department are triable as misdemeanors, so it will be up to the DA to decide how to pursue that charge. Usually, though, it's just a fine.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">