• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Service provider phone lock

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkpayne

I bought a phone from a certain mobile phone network for full price, under no contract and used a prepaid plan for about six months before trying to change my service provider only to find that my previous provider had placed a lock on my phone. This disables me from using my phone with any other providers. After several attempts to contact someone in their costumer service department who even knew what I was talking about, someone claiming to be a manager said they could not and would not unlock my phone. Do I have a case?

Antigone*

I bought a phone from a certain mobile phone network for full price, under no contract and used a prepaid plan for about six months before trying to change my service provider only to find that my previous provider had placed a lock on my phone. This disables me from using my phone with any other providers. After several attempts to contact someone in their costumer service department who even knew what I was talking about, someone claiming to be a manager said they could not and would not unlock my phone. Do I have a case?
US Law Only

...and no, you don't have a case.

FlyingRon

Which carrier are we talking about and who do you want to switch to?
You don't really a have a legal case, but I may be able to help.
You can always file a complaint on the FCC.GOV site (there's a link for such on the left side somewhere). That will at least get your case in a couple of months routed to the corporate legal office who has the power to shake things loose and they often do even if there's no legal obligation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">