• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Errors and Omissions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vinmoto

I live in Iowa. My child's mother has primary physical custody. I exercise visitation every other weekend, a wednesday overnight, and have holiday and summer visitation.

Approximately two years ago I moved within the state to accept a better paying job and live closer to my child. When I moved I petitioned the courts for a mid-week overnight visitation which pushed my overnight visitations up over 128 (the requisite number to obtain an extraordinary visitation credit). The courts awarded the mid-week visit and actually gave me additional time in the summer as well. My attorney filed for the extraordinary visitation credit which was awarded by the courts and I benefited from a reduction in child support that amounted to about $100 a month.

This arrangement existed for about two years before the child's mother and I discussed modifying the summer visitation agreement. We discussed splitting the summer 50/50 (it was previously about 75/25 in my favor). Prior to petitioning the court to make the change, I sought advice from my attorney. I specifically asked her if such a change would result in losing enough days that I might lose the extraordinary visitation credit. My attorney's advice was an unequivocal "no". She advised that I would not sacrifice enough days to lose the extraordinary visitation credit. We drafted up an agreement to make the change and the courts granted a change to the custody and visitation decree. Thereafter, I was informed by the attorney of my child's mother that I no longer had enough overnights to benefit from the extraordinary visitation credit. They petitioned the courts to remove the credit and the court ruled in her favor. I've spent approximately $4,500 in fees to my attorney and the court defending the credit. I'll also be paying the increased support for the next five years which amounts to approximately $6,000.

In short, I asked my attorney specifically about the extraordinary visitation credit when I sought legal advice on this matter. She advised I would not lose the credit; however, it has since become apparent that she did not attempt to tabulate the days before advising me on the matter. Now I find myself at a $10,000 loss because of her "error".

My question... I'm not suggesting this fits the definition of "malpractice" but I'm certainly wondering if I have any channels to pursue relief based upon errors and omissions.

I realize the above is short on detail. I didn't want to bog down the reader. If more detail is needed, please advise. Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">