• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

6 Weeks later no pool liner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RFinPasco

Florida

Spent months trying to find someone to replace the vinly liner in pool and repair the steps.

Find someone who seems to know what they are doing. Checked BBB and Angie's List no complaints.

Signed a contract like documents. Don't have in front of me. But it was about $700 for the stairs + some parts. Terms for that was 1/2 at start and 1/2 at completion. The rest was for the pool about $2900. with 1/3 at removing liner; 1/3 at measuring and ordering new liner; 1/3 at completion.

He showed up on day one January 24th and removes the old liner and gets 1/3 of the pool cost + 1/2 the stair cost + cost of parts he needs to oder for Stairs.

Comes later in the week and does some work on the stairs, and measures and orders liner. Gets 1/3 pool costs.

GETS ANOTHER JOB - BIGGER AND MORE PROFITABLE. Don't see him all the following week, yet he shows up 5:30pm on super bowl sunday to work.

Don't see him again for a week, he comes late on sunday and does some work on the Stairs. It is obvious he is having problems living up to his end of the deal on the stairs. Last two weeks he starts showing up in the evening with no warning and works till LATE (11pm one night).

FINALLY today he finishes the stairs and wants a check for $350. We refuse, he has already been paid $2900 and we have had an empty hold in the ground for six weeks. Upon learning he will not get another dime till the job is done he threatens to walk away from it. We don't even have the liner.

Any advice on what steps we might take?

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Florida

Spent months trying to find someone to replace the vinly liner in pool and repair the steps.

Find someone who seems to know what they are doing. Checked BBB and Angie's List no complaints.

Signed a contract like documents. Don't have in front of me. But it was about $700 for the stairs + some parts. Terms for that was 1/2 at start and 1/2 at completion. The rest was for the pool about $2900. with 1/3 at removing liner; 1/3 at measuring and ordering new liner; 1/3 at completion.

He showed up on day one January 24th and removes the old liner and gets 1/3 of the pool cost + 1/2 the stair cost + cost of parts he needs to oder for Stairs.

Comes later in the week and does some work on the stairs, and measures and orders liner. Gets 1/3 pool costs.

GETS ANOTHER JOB - BIGGER AND MORE PROFITABLE. Don't see him all the following week, yet he shows up 5:30pm on super bowl sunday to work.

Don't see him again for a week, he comes late on sunday and does some work on the Stairs. It is obvious he is having problems living up to his end of the deal on the stairs. Last two weeks he starts showing up in the evening with no warning and works till LATE (11pm one night).

FINALLY today he finishes the stairs and wants a check for $350. We refuse, he has already been paid $2900 and we have had an empty hold in the ground for six weeks. Upon learning he will not get another dime till the job is done he threatens to walk away from it. We don't even have the liner.

Any advice on what steps we might take?

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I would suggest you pay what you agreed to pay. Namely, another $350.

RFinPasco

Of course we will. Once the liner is in and the pool is full and we know the steps are no longer leaking. Then he will be paid in full.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Of course we will. Once the liner is in and the pool is full and we know the steps are no longer leaking. Then he will be paid in full.
You agreed to pay for the stairs upon completion of the stairs (per your own post).

RFinPasco

You agreed to pay for the stairs upon completion of the stairs (per your own post).
Yes and I consider completion of the Stairs when it shows they are no longer leaking. The man has been paid for 90% of the total. And it is still worse than when he started. If he had done the stairs before taking out the liner we could have just filled it and maybe we didn't need a liner. He is the one that said we needed both. He has all the money. We have nothing except a hole in the ground with newly refinshed stairs. What good is that without the liner? We have paid for the liner and most of the labor charges as well. I know it is our own fault for the signing the proposal, which I guess became the contract without including a completion date. But what I'm looking for is advise on what steps to take to get him to complete the job. I feel he has no incentive to finish since he's already been paid so much AND HE HAS THE LINER.

Guess I know why your name is Zinger. You prefer to offer onliners instead of advice.

I used this site once years and years ago with a landlord issue. I received advice on how to write a letter including points to cover. I wrote the letter and had my landlord at my door immediately with a check. I guess I was hoping for the same results.

But thanks anyway for trying.

MrJenkins

Yes and I consider completion of the Stairs when it shows they are no longer leaking. The man has been paid for 90% of the total. And it is still worse than when he started. If he had done the stairs before taking out the liner we could have just filled it and maybe we didn't need a liner. He is the one that said we needed both. He has all the money. We have nothing except a hole in the ground with newly refinshed stairs. What good is that without the liner? We have paid for the liner and most of the labor charges as well. I know it is our own fault for the signing the proposal, which I guess became the contract without including a completion date. But what I'm looking for is advise on what steps to take to get him to complete the job. I feel he has no incentive to finish since he's already been paid so much AND HE HAS THE LINER.

Guess I know why your name is Zinger. You prefer to offer onliners instead of advice.

I used this site once years and years ago with a landlord issue. I received advice on how to write a letter including points to cover. I wrote the letter and had my landlord at my door immediately with a check. I guess I was hoping for the same results.

But thanks anyway for trying.
that's cause you received correct advice, like you are here.

pay the man. Also, for what it's worth, it would cost you more than 350 to take this to court.

Wouldn't you rather be completely paid up and on top of your game should it have to come to that avenue. I mean, you already paid 2000+. What is an extra 350 to make yourself look like the good guy?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">