• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using my address to get cell phone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vryblessd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY
I have a relative by marriage who lives in another state and used my address as his residence while attempting to obtain a cell phone. I understand this is fraud. I have received correspondence from the cell phone company and since started receiving debt collection letters addressed to him which are becoming a nu-sense. I don't speak with this relative any longer and haven't for almost a year. Is there anything legally I can do to prevent him from continuing to use my address on applications and therefore causing unwanted harassment to me from his bill collectors?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

Not really. Simply tell the bill collectors that he doesn't live there and (if it's true) that you don't know where he is.

If something comes in the mail, mark "return to sender, addressee does not live at this residence".

Not really. Simply tell the bill collectors that he doesn't live there and (if it's true) that you don't know where he is.

If something comes in the mail, mark "return to sender, addressee does not live at this residence".
Can he not give the bill collectors his relative's accurate address?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">