• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First offense; Possession of pot in Vermont

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ctriana921

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Vermont.

I was arrested while riding around with some friends in Feb. when we were pulled over after the driver ran a blinking red light and the cop smelled the pot. I gave it all up immediately (The amount was a bit under a 1/2 oz). The cop suspected me of selling to my other friends in the car but I definitely was not, it was all in one bag and I had plans to cook it. The arresting officer said that since i gave it up so fast it would help me on my court date.

I turned 18 in December so I'm not sure what is going to happen, I asked around seeing if anyone else knew what might happen to me but all the stories I heard were from 16-17 year old kids in highschool.

People tell me Vermont has really good laws for first time offenders and that I may just have to pay a fine and do a "Diversion" program.

I've been clean in the months coming up to my court date (April 7th)

I plan on going in without a lawyer, any advice on what I should say / do?

CdwJava

Talk only to your attorney. Diversion and probation are common for first offenders, but you had best be prepared to stop smoking, eating, or otherwise consuming marijuana.

As a note, even giving the marijuana to your friends can be the same as selling it. So, if you share it, you are guilty of distribution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">