• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Car Purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jwillh

I recently kind of purchased a used vehicle. I say kind of because I'm not really sure as to whether I even have any legal right to the vehicle. My wife's uncle had a used van that he had previously loaned to another family member. When this family member purchased a different vehicle they no longer required the one they were borrowing, so my wife thought it would be a good idea for us to use it. Instead of paying cash for the vehicle she spoke to him about a trade; which involved us giving him $3000.00 worth of computer software (which I installed on three of his computers) in exchange for the van.

Since then we have put over $1500.00 worth of work into the vehicle and we paid her uncle for the insurance as he didn't legally sign the van over to either one of us. It's been a little over a year since we got the van, and when the insurance was due her uncle didn't renew it. So now we are unable to use the vehicle. So I'm out $3000.00 for the software and $1500.00 for repairs and now it seems we can't use the vehicle either. Is there anything from a legal standpoint that we can do? The vehicle is still in our possession and he has done nothing to either take back the vehicle or change ownership.

BL

I recently kind of purchased a used vehicle. I say kind of because I'm not really sure as to whether I even have any legal right to the vehicle. My wife's uncle had a used van that he had previously loaned to another family member. When this family member purchased a different vehicle they no longer required the one they were borrowing, so my wife thought it would be a good idea for us to use it. Instead of paying cash for the vehicle she spoke to him about a trade; which involved us giving him $3000.00 worth of computer software (which I installed on three of his computers) in exchange for the van.

Since then we have put over $1500.00 worth of work into the vehicle and we paid her uncle for the insurance as he didn't legally sign the van over to either one of us. It's been a little over a year since we got the van, and when the insurance was due her uncle didn't renew it. So now we are unable to use the vehicle. So I'm out $3000.00 for the software and $1500.00 for repairs and now it seems we can't use the vehicle either. Is there anything from a legal standpoint that we can do? The vehicle is still in our possession and he has done nothing to either take back the vehicle or change ownership.
What is the name of your State ? ( US Law ONLY )

justalayman

the fact the uncle did not sign the title over to anybody should have been a clue to you that it was still his vehicle.

When you rent a vehicle, long term, you are expected to pay for repairs.

It sounds like your rental period has expired. Unless the uncle, somewhere along the line, told you he was going to transfer it to you, you have no claim for the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">