• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kru2wuero

i live in arizona and the other day i got pull over, i was with 2 friends that were girls. in the car we had alcohol, all of them were not open just one sky was. He saw the alcohol and pulled me out of the car and started questioning me then i told him that i had a pipe and like barely a gram of marijuana, he took me in and charged me with attempted possession f marijuana, attempted possession of drug paraphernalia and under 21 with possession of spirituous liquor. i have court on the 31 what should i do!! :(

Isis1

i live in arizona and the other day i got pull over, i was with 2 friends that were girls. in the car we had alcohol, all of them were not open just one sky was. He saw the alcohol and pulled me out of the car and started questioning me then i told him that i had a pipe and like barely a gram of marijuana, he took me in and charged me with attempted possession f marijuana, attempted possession of drug paraphernalia and under 21 with possession of spirituous liquor. i have court on the 31 what should i do!! :(
get an attorney.

The Occultist

"Attempted possession"? Is that what your citation actually says? or did you come up with that?

Anywho, while Isis is wise to advise you to find an attorney, that may not actually be a necessity. If you have never been convicted of anything else before, then you may find yourself in a potentially "okay" situation. The state of Arizona tends to be quite lienient with first-time offenders of non-violent crimes.

At your court date, you will be asked how you plea. If the judge does not automatically offer it as an option, request a pre-trial conference. At this point, you will be given a new court date, at which you will have the opportunity to speak to the prosecutors. It is more than like that they will offer you deferred prosecution on all charges. This process entails paying court fees (anywhere from $300 to $1200 depending on the county), attending drug/alcohol classes, as well as a [extremely] light probation, the sucessful completion of which will result in the charges being dropped.

Now, if you have some sort of criminal record here, then definitely do not attempt to proceed with an attorney at the helm. And, despite the advice I've given, even with a clean record it really is not a bad idea to retain an experienced attorney. The best attorneys will be the ones with offices across the street from the courthouse. Yes, they can be pricey, but that tends to be because they are worth it. A local attorney knows best what the courts want to hear (and also are more able to brush the proper elbows and can get deals with the acquainted prosecutors that the average layperson would not be able to attain) and as such present the highest potential in yielding the most favorable results. Many attorneys will offer free/cheap consultations, so there is nothing wrong with, at the very least, sitting down with a couple to see what insight they may have to offer.

kru2wuero

i have never been on record this is my first charges in my life. and yes it does say Attempted possession on both the marijuana and the drug drug paraphernalia

DaveJones002

It would be nice though if you can get an attorney that can help you beat the rap and come away with still a clean record. I think a clean record is most important in days when its hard to find work and if you want to take employment positions that require a lot of trust.

The Occultist

statue numbers? the ARS?? or the section number? ill give you one 13-3405A1
Well, still not sure where the officer came up with the word "attempted" but the statute number is rather self explanatory. For the one charge you provided, it reads:

13-3405. Possession, use, production, sale or transportation of marijuana; classification
A. A person shall not knowingly:
1. Possess or use marijuana.
You are clearly guilty of that. I'm guessing the second charge is 13-3415A and/or 13-3415E (subsections 1, 4, or 5). I won't bother searching for the statute for the alcohol bit as I'm sure the statute will read similar enough. I stand by my original post in this thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">