• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug charges due to people leaving bags in room.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lexich

Maryland--

My boyfriend was recently arrested Friday night. He is being charged with Marijuana possession, paraphernalia, and intent to sell in the state of Maryland. However, the story goes (and I know it to be true as I was there...) that him and I had gotten back from a concert that night, and as we did, his roommates had decided to throw a party. We walk back into his bedroom and there were tons of people, smoking marijuana. Right as we get them to leave, the cops arrived from a noise complaint. They smelt marijuana and claimed to have seen some on the table and entered the house. They asked where it was being smoked, which lead them to the back room (where everyone had also ran, since it was the furthest away). They then asked where it was, and my boyfriend showed the police the very small amount he had in his nightstand. THey then allowed everyone to leave after IDing them, and then searched the house. In my boyfriends room, people had ditched their backpacks with marijuana in it. There were a good 5 or 6 backpacks, which a few had scales, baggies and marijuana. Inside one bag there was a notebook containing numbers and prices and all sorts of selling information. Even though there was a name on the notebook, they claim it to be my boyfriends. Since all this was in his bedroom, he is being charged for everyone's marijuana and paraphernalia. I would just like to know if this is possible, as the police clearly knew there was a party (they entered with lots of people there/arrived for a noise complaint), but allowed everyone to leave before they searched the house. I can't imagine him being charged for something he did not know people had left in those backpacks, let alone his room. Please give me some kind of advice/help!

CdwJava

There were a good 5 or 6 backpacks, which a few had scales, baggies and marijuana. Inside one bag there was a notebook containing numbers and prices and all sorts of selling information. Even though there was a name on the notebook, they claim it to be my boyfriends. Since all this was in his bedroom, he is being charged for everyone's marijuana and paraphernalia. I would just like to know if this is possible, as the police clearly knew there was a party (they entered with lots of people there/arrived for a noise complaint), but allowed everyone to leave before they searched the house. I can't imagine him being charged for something he did not know people had left in those backpacks, let alone his room. Please give me some kind of advice/help!
Of course they can charge him. However, he has a valid defense to raise ... potentially. Hopefully the people with the dope also left some other personal effects in the backpacks to help the police identify those owners.

Your boyfriend would do well not to discuss this with anyone but his attorney. Likewise, he should be ready to give up his roomies and their friends if he expects to clear himself.

If he has not yet spoken to an attorney, he needs to do so presently.

Isis1

You and your boyfriend need to stop hanging around drug offenders. Especially those that set you up like that.

ENASNI

Heed Carl's advice.
IF your boyfriend is indeed innocent, they will be trying to find out the true culprits.

Carl is an ex-cop and gave you good advice. Trust him.

CdwJava

Yes, I am currently employed as an officer ... though looking for new opportunities even out of state due to the pending state financial meltdown. :)

And thanks for the kind words.

ENASNI

Yes, I am currently employed as an officer ... though looking for new opportunities even out of state due to the pending state financial meltdown. :)

And thanks for the kind words.
Sorry Carl... I thought you retired, Good to know you are still out there. About the pending state financial meltdown... can you believe Hollywood is still thriving?

CdwJava

Sorry Carl... I thought you retired, Good to know you are still out there. About the pending state financial meltdown... can you believe Hollywood is still thriving?
Actually, they're hurting, too. I have a friend at ILM and they recently laid off a number of employees.

Much of Hollywood has moved out of CA.

If only I were old enough to retire ... or could afford to. Almost. And by the time I can, my retirement will probably be gutted!

xylene

Your boyfriend admitted to possession of marijuana, and possibly to paraphernalia, to the police directly.

It is possible that the intent to distribute could get tossed.

Listen to your lawyer.

Giving up the marijuana in the dresser was not a good idea, it was a confession and it didn't make the cops "go easy" or stop tossing the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">