• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

University charging me health ins now after graduating over a year an half ago.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kristine733

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetss

Hi,

I am not sure where to post this question so I am posting it here and on the health page. But, I received an email from the financial aid/student accounts department Friday at 320 in the afternoon from the University I graduated from in 12/09. After calling them at 430pm that same day, I was told that I owe them $1300 because the forgot to charge me for my health insurance for the 2009 school year. Please keep in mind that I have not heard from then in over a year. I have a zero balance with the University as all my loans were released in the begining of 2010. I have been paying these loans on time since. I have recently consolidated my loans again and no longer have the receipts from my University only from the loan servicing companies.
I am inquiring about the consequences on the University's end. Can they do this? Am I liable to pay? How can I prove if this is true w/o paperwork or do I even have to prove? I am also put off by the way they went about contacting me after over a year, via email, and then I was treated badly by the person in the office. Do you have any advice. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">