• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to disclose

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

npbsurfr

Northern CA:

My previous lawyer came forward with additional documents after I had replaced him by means of substitution. Apparently he failed to disclose all documents and records with my new lawyer.

I forget what it's called. What is the terminology used for an agreement that is made between a client and or representative, to the release previous attorney, to delivery all documents and records to new attorney?

Thank you for your help.

latigo

Northern CA:

My previous lawyer came forward with additional documents after I had replaced him by means of substitution. Apparently he failed to disclose all documents and records with my new lawyer.

I forget what it's called. What is the terminology used for an agreement that is made between a client and or representative, to the release previous attorney, to delivery all documents and records to new attorney?

Thank you for your help.
I don't know that there is such a label. Anyway, if there is and I once knew, it has escaped me. (Not uncommon) Perhaps you could coin one.

But if you have confidence in your new lawyer, I'd let him worrying about it. “A rose by any other name …” and such.

Mass_Shyster

From the California Rules of Professional Conduct:

Rule 3-700. Termination of Employment.

(D) Papers, Property, and Fees.

A member whose employment has terminated shall:

(1) Subject to any protective order or non-disclosure agreement, promptly release to the client, at the request of the client, all the client papers and property. "Client papers and property" includes correspondence, pleadings, deposition transcripts, exhibits, physical evidence, expert's reports, and other items reasonably necessary to the client's representation, whether the client has paid for them or not; and

(2) Promptly refund any part of a fee paid in advance that has not been earned. This provision is not applicable to a true retainer fee which is paid solely for the purpose of ensuring the availability of the member for the matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">