• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danado

? In Va, My daughter tricked me into signing, now her student loan is in my name. She won't pay. Is there anything I can do?

justalayman

and other than that, pay the loan would be a good thing. Depending on all of the facts, you may be able to sue your daughter.

swalsh411

She tricked you? Or you didn't pay attention? If the former, how badly do you want your daughter to go to jail for fraud? If the later, you should have read what you signed.

RRevak

How exactly does one get tricked into signing for a student loan? Did she talk you into signing with the promise that she would pay you back and is now not paying? We're really going to need more details if you want answers.

danado

Well, first off, my financial situation qualified me/us to get pell grants for her. But she didn't keep her grades up.
I remember her telling me that I had to sign something about half way thru her nursing school. I didn't think about it. A few months later she came to me frantically, saying; I have to sign this paper.
At that point in her/our life, I was happy she was going to make something out of herself. So I just signed it. No notary was needed.
Well now that she has graduated, she says; she will pay but hasn't.
Is there something I can do? Sue her?

Antigone*

Well, first off, my financial situation qualified me/us to get pell grants for her. But she didn't keep her grades up.
I remember her telling me that I had to sign something about half way thru her nursing school. I didn't think about it. A few months later she came to me frantically, saying; I have to sign this paper.
At that point in her/our life, I was happy she was going to make something out of herself. So I just signed it. No notary was needed.
Sure you could sue for the loan after you've paid it.

sandyclaus

Given your explanation of the situation, you knowingly entered in to a loan agreement for your daughter. There was no trick involved. She just convinced you to sign, and when you did, you accepted full responsibility for payment of the loan.

The only thing you can do now is pay off the loan that you agreed to pay, and sue her to recover the payments once you have done so.

danado

Well, with you all not agreeing that I was tricked/cheated, what grounds do I have to win a suit after I have paid the loan off?
BTW Thank you for all your responses.

danado

One more thought; No I didn't read to understand, what I was signing. I was not the one versed in student loans. (Seems she has 2 others). She was.

To this day I don't understand how a loan could be put in someones name without even a Notary involved.

So, you all are right, the trick was not getting me to sign, but her not paying her student loans.
I paid mine

justalayman

Well, with you all not agreeing that I was tricked/cheated, what grounds do I have to win a suit after I have paid the loan off?
BTW Thank you for all your responses.
we have no idea the real circumstances surrounding you signing the loan. It sounds like you did it knowingly and willingly with maybe the child promising to repay the loan. You say she did later promise to pay but depending on your original understanding, that may not mean anything.

It really does not sound like you were tricked into signing anything.

So, you are on the hook for the loan so you need to pay that. It sounds like you might be able to sue your daughter for whatever you end up paying.

csi7

You need to get a complete copy of the loan papers you signed to verify the type of student loans they are. Some student loans are subsidized, some are unsubsidized, and some loans are strictly parent plus loans provided for dependent students.
Once you determine the exact type of loan you signed for, then you will know whether your daughter misled you on the type of loan you signed for.
It does make a huge difference as far as interest rates go for the loans.
Sit down with your daughter and discuss the way the loan repayment is going to be handled. If necessary, put the agreement in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">