• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer "allegedly" takes a dive.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NellieBly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

My mother was sued by my former stepsister over ownership of the house owned by my mother and late former stepfather.

My mother lives in Maine and hired a Florida lawyer to represent her. Things were going well until the lawyer was inspecting the premises (why?) and ran into my former stepsister. He told my lawyer that my former stepsister was a "nice girl" and that she should settle the lawsuit in my stepsister's favor.

After that, things did not go well at all. My sister called the lawyer and read him the riot act. Let the record show, she's pretty good at it.

Somewhere along the line, the court date was cancelled. I'm not sure if it was before or after my sister told the lawyer off.

We didn't hear a thing for two years, until my mother found out the lawyer went before a judge and (I'm not sure what he did) but my stepsister was awarded a 50 percent interest in the house, because it was "abandoned".

"Abandoned" despite the fact my mother kept current on paying taxes and employs a yard service to maintain the exterior.

My mother was not apprised of this hearing.

If my mother does not buy out my stepsister's interest by the end of the month, the house will be sold. My mother is also responsible for paying for my former stepsister's lawyer.

She cannot even afford a lawyer to contest this, let alone buy her own house back.

Shouldn't the lawyer at least asked for an offset for my former stepfather's use of my mother's share of the house for the many years she was absent? She continued to pay the mortgage for years after she left. Or how about the taxes and lawn care she paid?

This post is not about who owns the house, but about how her lawyer didn't appear to be acting in the best interests of the client who was paying him.

tranquility

Shouldn't the lawyer at least asked for an offset for my former stepfather's use of my mother's share of the house for the many years she was absent? She continued to pay the mortgage for years after she left. Or how about the taxes and lawn care she paid?

This post is not about who owns the house, but about how her lawyer didn't appear to be acting in the best interests of the client who was paying him.
The lawyer could ask, but black letter law allows all owners the right of possession so it would have been ignored by a represented opponent.

You have not presented anything which resembles an attorney error. Could there have been one? Sure. But, nothing in what you wrote proves one up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">