• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability for User-Uploaded Content

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryantee

Hi -- Ryan from California here.

Myself and a few other people are about to start a music ecards website, with the eventual hopes of earning some advertisement revenue somewhere down the line. We were considering the option of allowing the user to upload their own image and have them send it along with their message, which I think would help boost the site's usefulness to people.

One potential problem we might run into, though, is if the user uploads offensive/illegal/copyrighted content and uses our site to send it to others, which might cause some problems somewhere down the line. Even if its temporary, some of these images will be stored on our server and are technically available to the public, due to the system that we're currently using. The case of people "finding" this material is, however, unlikely due to the fact that the site id is only initially available to the sender and recipient of the card.

We're planning on limiting our liability in our terms of service and also including a cautionary message when people use this function, but beyond those things is there anything else that should be done to prevent any problems? Have there been any other examples of these kinds of situations played out?

Our in-progress site here if you need a reference: http://okmusic.me

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">