• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

repossession question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miss B

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
I am a louisiana resident and I purchased a vehicle in texas on 01/28/2011. I put $4000 down and had a car note of $363 for 24 months. The dealership states I would have to pay for tax title and license two weeks later which would be $800. I did not make that payment of $800 because I was not given clear information on whether or not I would get Louisiana plates or Texas plates. I also had a mechanical problem that they were suppose to work out for me but needed to get back to me on . I never got a response about the plates or the mechanical repairs. I did not mail the payment on 02/28/2011. on 03/12/2011 they came and repossesed the car. They are now not letting me reinstate the loan and want me to pay the full value of the car. Do I have any rights here or what can I do? I have tried to talk to them but they are not budging.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
I am a louisiana resident and I purchased a vehicle in texas on 01/28/2011. I put $4000 down and had a car note of $363 for 24 months. The dealership states I would have to pay for tax title and license two weeks later which would be $800. I did not make that payment of $800 because I was not given clear information on whether or not I would get Louisiana plates or Texas plates. I also had a mechanical problem that they were suppose to work out for me but needed to get back to me on . I never got a response about the plates or the mechanical repairs. I did not mail the payment on 02/28/2011. on 03/12/2011 they came and repossesed the car. They are now not letting me reinstate the loan and want me to pay the full value of the car. Do I have any rights here or what can I do? I have tried to talk to them but they are not budging.
Why should they "budge"? You've already proven that you can't keep up your end of the deal. If you want the car, pay for the car.

miss B

repo question

Well, I don't feel that they kept up their end of the deal either. I have the funds to pay them for what was due however I was not going to send $800 when they could not give me a clear answer of what type of plates I would get. I found out after they repoed the car that they applied for texas plates. Because to this I will have to pay the Louisina DMV another $800 to have the plates switched over. I just needed to know and no one would return my calls. I eventually had to pay for the car repairs and I was told they would work something out with me for my cost to get the repairs done but again I never recieved a response. Now I am out of $4000 for a vehicle I have only had for 40 days. It just does not seem right. And I'm not sure what repo laws to follow, Texas or Lousiana?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well, I don't feel that they kept up their end of the deal either. I have the funds to pay them for what was due however I was not going to send $800 when they could not give me a clear answer of what type of plates I would get. I found out after they repoed the car that they applied for texas plates. Because to this I will have to pay the Louisina DMV another $800 to have the plates switched over. I just needed to know and no one would return my calls. I eventually had to pay for the car repairs and I was told they would work something out with me for my cost to get the repairs done but again I never recieved a response. Now I am out of $4000 for a vehicle I have only had for 40 days. It just does not seem right. And I'm not sure what repo laws to follow, Texas or Lousiana?
I'm sure the dealer didn't think it was fair for you to stiff them out of $800 either

miss B

Repo question

I was not trying to stiff them out of $800. As I was told by the dmv, because I am a Louisiana resident they were supposed to apply for Louisiana plates. why they chose not too, I don't know. And the last time I spoke to someone they told me I should get LA plates but they had to confirm with the person who handled it. Again, they never got back to me with an answer. Does anyone know what repo laws have to be followed considering I am a Louisiana resident and the car was purchased in Texas? They did not send me any written notification and I was not 60 days delinquent which is part of the Louisiana repo laws.

miss B

Repo Question

Does anyone know which state repossession laws apply: Louisiana or Texas? Thanks in advance. I have contacted my attorney General but have not gotten a response yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">