• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How enforcable are non compete clauses?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tryingtohelp

-employed by computer consulting firm in Wisconsin
-terminated from above firm after 2 yrs of employment
-signed a non compete clause at commencement of employment with consulting firm
-same day as discharge, updated resume and called a couple of former clients to request their use as references on new resume
-3 days after discharge, one of the former clients that I contacted called to request my services with the knowledge that I was no longer employed with the consulting firm.
-would my calling this client and asking for a reference be in violation of a non compete clause if I did not solicit them?

B

buddy2bear

Unfortunately, yes. You put it out to a client of your company that your services were available, thereby possibly taking business from your x-company. It doesn't matter why you contacted them as I am sure you contract stated something to the effect, " . . . will not solicit, or contact . . ., etc."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">