• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Patentability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

djdacosta

I have a 2 car garage,home-based woodshop with a contractors saw equipped with a patented saw fence system that's been used mostly to support a home based business. To improve the performance and versatility of this equipment I've designed and built a fixture that attaches to, and utilizes the structure of, the saw fence and I have been using this attachment successfully since early 1998. The saw fence manufacturer has no product which duplicates this function. My usage is not unique to what I do and experience tells me that the idea is both novel and satisfies a real need. While the idea embodied in this fence attachment could very likely be adapted to other commercial grade saw fence systems this particular design only attaches to the saw fence I've got. I have two questions:
1) What's the best way to determine if this is an idea worth persuing?
2) Since my design attaches specifically to the saw fence i've got, which is already covered by a patent,is this a patentable idea?

P

PJB

I've designed and built a fixture that attaches to, and utilizes the structure of, the saw fence and I have been using this attachment successfully since early 1998. The saw fence manufacturer has no product which duplicates this function.

*** Does anyone else? Do a simple keyword search on http://www.delphion.com or http://www.uspto.gov while also checking www,trade mags, distributor/supplier catalogs, etc.

I have two questions:

1) What's the best way to determine if this is an idea worth persuing?

*** Not sure what the best way is there are several choices however: write a business plan would be one since you will be working out bottomline numbers and discovering market size, level of want, cost of manufacturing versus retail sales price, etc.

2) Since my design attaches specifically to the saw fence i've got, which is already covered by a patent,is this a patentable idea?

*** Possibly. Do a patent search. If you don't find order a formal patent search done by a professional. Average charge $550. If the legal opinion indicates a favorable result, consider initially filing a $75 Provisional Application for Patent (also called a PPA). Once written and filed, for one year you'll be able to use "patent pending" on invention. It will expire at year end and if not converted into a formal Non Provisional (Utility) Patent Application, it will roll into public domain and no longer potentially be patenable.
*** Call 800-PTO-9199 order materials including booklets about patents, trademarks, copyrights.

Best

PJB

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">