• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Contract help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

walkerl0717

Here is the situation. March 10th my mother paid for boarding services for our puppy which would begin March 20th and end the 29th (we were going on vacation). My mother signed a contract which included the cancellation policy. According to the boardings cancellation policy, cancellation must be given 2 weeks in advance to receive 100% credit, and 1 week in advance to receive 50% credit (no refund). One of our traveling companions, my girlfriend, her mother passed away March 16, buried the 18th and we decided that we would no longer need the boarding services since we cancelled the vacation because our travel companion is unfit. We inquired about refund/credit March 19th of $695. The dog has yet to be released into their care, the release form has not been signed and no services have been performed. My question is this, if we were to take this issue to court in the case that we are not refunded, would we have valid case and one we would likely win? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Please also cite what legal terminology i should use when i confront the owner of the boarding establishment to perhaps sway them into avoiding legal conflict and just giving our money back. Thanks

Mass_Shyster

It seems that under the terms of the agreement, you are entitled to no credit, as you did not provide the required one week notice.

The correct legal phrase to use when requesting a refund is "pretty please".

Indiana Filer

Here is the situation. March 10th my mother paid for boarding services for our puppy which would begin March 20th and end the 29th (we were going on vacation). My mother signed a contract which included the cancellation policy. According to the boardings cancellation policy, cancellation must be given 2 weeks in advance to receive 100% credit, and 1 week in advance to receive 50% credit (no refund). One of our traveling companions, my girlfriend, her mother passed away March 16, buried the 18th and we decided that we would no longer need the boarding services since we cancelled the vacation because our travel companion is unfit. We inquired about refund/credit March 19th
Since you only gave them one day notice, it doesn't sound like you get any refund. If you had canceled by the 13th, you could have gotten 50% of the money refunded.

Condolences to your girlfriend.

walkerl0717

700$ for a pure reservation is just theivery. I understand that it isn't the establishments fault that we would like to renig on the contract, but isn't the point of a contract an agreement between between parties, and in this case an exchange of services for money. Are they hands down entitled to all of that money even tho they've done nothing for us?

Hot Topic

Here is the situation. March 10th my mother paid for boarding services for our puppy which would begin March 20th and end the 29th (we were going on vacation). My mother signed a contract which included the cancellation policy. According to the boardings cancellation policy, cancellation must be given 2 weeks in advance to receive 100% credit, and 1 week in advance to receive 50% credit (no refund). One of our traveling companions, my girlfriend, her mother passed away March 16, buried the 18th and we decided that we would no longer need the boarding services since we cancelled the vacation because our travel companion is unfit. We inquired about refund/credit March 19th of $695. The dog has yet to be released into their care, the release form has not been signed and no services have been performed. My question is this, if we were to take this issue to court in the case that we are not refunded, would we have valid case and one we would likely win? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Please also cite what legal terminology i should use when i confront the owner of the boarding establishment to perhaps sway them into avoiding legal conflict and just giving our money back. Thanks
Your travel companion wasn't "unfit." Her mother passed away March 16th and was buried the 18th. You inquired about a refund March 19th, one day before your puppy was to be boarded. You can't expect to get all your money back since you knew about the cancellation policy. It's not your "fault" that things turned out as they did, but it's not the boarding establishment's fault, either.

And if you thought the boarding fee was too expensive, why did you go ahead and book their services?

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

They did something for you. They reserved a spot for your pet. Give the little critter a vacation anyway, since its prepaid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">