• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car in shop for 10 years..options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FredZack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Well, a loooong time ago, I took my car in for restoration at a local body shop. I told the guy I was not in a hurry (big mistake...), and got an estimate based on him doing the work in his 'spare time'.
Over the years, I called him every 3-4 months to inquire on progress. He usually told me he got a couple of hours in on it, and if he put a full-time guy on it I could have it in 3-4 weeks. This never happened.
My wife even stopped in the shop once, hoping to get the work done to surprise me for my birthday. He agreed, but never acted on it.
Around June '04, I called him to tell him to stop the project. he said fine, and that he would put together an invoice for the parts and labor put into it so far. I told him I thought it was inappropriate to charge me for work that was done, since the job was never finished, and the car was unusable in the partially-repaired state. He said he would work something out, but I never heard back.
Storage fees were never mentioned or discussed.

So...
Now I'm moving out of state and want to wrap this up once and for all. Do I have any grounds to refuse to pay him? I can just abandon the car with him, but do not want anything to cause a credit rating hit, or whatever.
As an aside, I pulled the interior of the car out before taking it to the shop (to save more labor time), and still have it in my garage. It's probably not worth much, but I thought it could be a small bargaining chip..it can be tough to find parts for a 27-year-old car.

Any ideas?
thanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

You will be lucky if he still has the car after all this time.

no, you do not have a right to refuse to pay the guy. Even you said your deal was so loose there was no defined time and you were aware he was working on it in his spare time. Well, I know people that have no spare time so if you went to them, it would never be completed.

You owe him for the work performed.

Storage; over 6 years since last contact; ya, you owe him something even if he could not legally charge you.

If he still has the car and wants to accept the vehicle in exchange for the money you owe, that is up to him. Unless he reports to any of the credit reporting agencies, any bill with this guy would not be an issue. If it went to a collection agency or court, that is a different story.

FredZack

The car is a 1984 Nissan/Datsun 300ZXT. It is still in his lot, under a tarp. It has been stored outside for the past several years, and has deteriorated to the point where I'm not sure it can be restored now. The original estimate will not cover the repairs now, I would think.
I guess where I was going with this was that I had asked him several times to just complete the work, forgetting our 'spare time' deal, and it never happened.

thanks for the input- think I'll just offer to give him the interior parts and abandon the car, basically.

cheers

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">