• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ripped Off By A Private Seller

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikecallaway

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

About a week ago my father and I bought a used Land Rover from a private seller in Lakeland, Florida. During the course of the negotiation my dad asked if we could take it to a mechanic. The seller advised that she didn't want to put that much time into the deal and that she was very busy. That was clue number one and we should have walked away, but my father really liked the car and got caught up in the moment. The very next day the vehicle got stuck in something called hill decent mode which basically made it feel like you had your foot on the brake the entire time. After taking it to two mechanics it looks like the transmission is bad and that the ECU had been reset to cover up the problem. In her written ad she represented the vehicle as being in perfect condition with no problems of any kind. She also advertised AM/FM/CD player. When we test drove the vehicle it had a cd in it, which she said she didn't want. Sure enough when we popped the CD out the radio did not work. The FM amplifier was burned out. Apparently the vacuum lines are unique on Land Rovers and she had also tried to cover this fault by using JB weld. I know we should have been more careful before actually handing her any money but she lied about everything. Do we have any recourse?

Best Regards,
Michael CallawayWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

About a week ago my father and I bought a used Land Rover from a private seller in Lakeland, Florida. During the course of the negotiation my dad asked if we could take it to a mechanic. The seller advised that she didn't want to put that much time into the deal and that she was very busy. That was clue number one and we should have walked away, but my father really liked the car and got caught up in the moment. The very next day the vehicle got stuck in something called hill decent mode which basically made it feel like you had your foot on the brake the entire time. After taking it to two mechanics it looks like the transmission is bad and that the ECU had been reset to cover up the problem. In her written ad she represented the vehicle as being in perfect condition with no problems of any kind. She also advertised AM/FM/CD player. When we test drove the vehicle it had a cd in it, which she said she didn't want. Sure enough when we popped the CD out the radio did not work. The FM amplifier was burned out. Apparently the vacuum lines are unique on Land Rovers and she had also tried to cover this fault by using JB weld. I know we should have been more careful before actually handing her any money but she lied about everything. Do we have any recourse?

Best Regards,
Michael CallawayWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Enjoy your new car!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">