• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GMAC computer error will cost me BIG. What do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elb123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW MEXICO

I have been battling with GMAC/ALLY since February 8th over this.

On February 8th I logged onto the GMAC/ALLY website and made a payment of $500 (For January and February) The money deducted from my account but never posted. After calling every other day for about a week they decided that there was an error in their part and that $500 was "lost" because I paid the payment as they were switching from GMAC to ALLY's online payment software.

Bottom line, they admitted that it showed $500 but they coudlnt get it to post. I was told that they would call back in two days 3 different times and was never called back. This battle went on for a month. The collectors began to call.

Every time I called and asked to speak to a manager they would just transfer me to collections, who coudln't see the full account as a customer service rep could and transfer me back. Keep in mind this is a good 2 hours on the phone a day for a month.

During this time I spoke to a woman around the 22nd of February. She told me that since I planned to buy my car that I should just pay the remaning balance while they figure out where the $500 went. I paid them an additional $1485 over the phone (this is what she said, I knew I owed about $300 more than that). I kept getting calls. I logged in to view my payment history frequently and saw the money added, then subtracted then added again as $1000 to the "other" charges, and $489 to my past due amount. The $1000 posted correctly. The $489 seemed to go the same place my initial $500 dollars went from the 8th... NOWHERE.

For back reference the "Other" Chargers are this. The car was repossessed Dec. 2010 for a weekend. I paid the $1000 to get it back and some $350 to the dealership for towing and storage. Since the repossession my statemnets have said that I owed $1800(ish) for legal fees and was told that could be paid at lease end. I suppose over the year small over payments on my part had it down to $1758 as of my January statement. This statement also stated that I owed for January, and my final February payment would be due soon, I do have it in file.

My online statement to this day says I owe $758 in past dues and $480 something for January and February.

I called and began harassing them again. Every day it was something different.

I was told it went to "other" charges "no then where did my $1000 go???" "Ma'am I'm putting in a report I'll have someone call you back in 2 days"...never calls back

I was told it went to "back payments", "No I only owed for January" -20 minute hold- "ma'am it went to November/December", "where did the other $500 go?" -20 minute hold- "ma'am it went to November/December" "no you just told me the $489 went to Nov/Dec" -20 minute hold- "Sorry ma'am that went to September/October", "Thats impossible I'm holding a bill saying I only owe for January" "ma'am I'll have someone look in depth at this and call you back in 2 days" .... never calls back

Next time I called I was told that the $500 was sent back to my bank account and to watch it so I can turn around and pay it back.

The NEXT DAY I called and was told that the $500 applied and I still owe January/February.

The NEXT DAY I called and was told that BOTH the $500 and the $1485 were reimbursed to my bank account and to talk to my bank why that hadn't been reimbursed to me. That was a Saturday, I went to the bank and got a print out of my account and a number to call.

I called GMAC/ALLY the next Monday and was told someone had been assigned to me, assuming customer service to help me.

I called Tuesday the number given then caught her on Wednesday to find she was just a collections representative and she told me she was "warned" about me, and had an accountant look into it, that the missing $985 went to the repo charges. She read a break-down of all my charges from the repo from towing to keys. The math added up to $2800 some dollars. I asked her when those charges posted. She said March of 2009. I said, since January of 2009, the month after the repo my bills have said $1800 or less. Why was this never billed TO ME until 2 days before I need to buy my car. She had no answer and I was given the number for her supervisor and called two days in a row and left multiple messages and never got a call back.

I ASSUME that the last womans response was as much bull-sh** as the other dozen people I spoke on the phone who confidently spoke make-believe. I know there is a computing bug as a result of the GMAC/ALLY accounting switch that seems to affect every payment I make to the monthly charges. I wasn't about to send them more money before they corrected the problem.

Here is the catch. I had planned to buy my car, had the money in hand, and told them this every time I called. What they didn't know is because I planned to buy the car I drove it and drove it and drove it. I have it up to 110k miles. Thats about 70k over the lease turn in amount. I COULDN'T GET ANYONE TO LISTEN OR HELP! I had no choice but to return the car that Friday. I bought another car entirely, I have to work! I put the car in someone elses name so they can't put a lien on the new car. I don't know what to do. I know a $12k bill is headed my way.

They didn't give me a chance to buy the car within reasonable terms and I'm certain they will take me to court. What is my legal position. I know they will take the car and sell it for $3-4k and I know they have insurance to recoup any amount they don't make up to the contract agreement of $8k. I don't think I should have to owe them the additional $12k they will make in pure profit, they didn't allow me to buy the car and I begged and harassed them trying to get it fixed before the time came. They did nothing. I e-mailed a dozen lawyers in the area but none have replied.
Do I have legal rights?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Duplicate post: https://forum.freeadvice.com/consumer-contracts-guarantees-warranties-22/gmac-computer-error-will-cost-me-big-what-do-i-do-545868.html#post2779306

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">